Chapter 14

Dad and I were late getting our tickets to Tate's comp, so we had seats right at the back of the theatre. We sat through three hours of wannabe Broadway performers. We heard Wicked's 'Defying Gravity' four times, no kidding, sung in fiercely projected, less finely tuned voices.

We were hungry by the time Tate's group came on. They sung 'Aquarius' from Hair and Tate did a short solo.

'He's really good,' dad whispered, after their performance.

'I know.'

'I'm proud.' Dad smiled. 'How many classes is he doing now?'

'Three a week,' I said. 'Singing, jazz and tap.'

'Geez. Your mum would be in her element.'

'Can we go now?' I asked. 'I'm so hungry.'

'I could eat my arm,' dad agreed.

We were discussing where we should go for lunch when we bumped into mum in the foyer. She was holding a costume bag on a coat hanger and a makeup case in the other hand. The seasons changed and a frostiness varnished the air.

'Leaving already?' mum asked. 'They haven't done the presentations yet.'

Dad's mouth gaped open. He knew whatever he said would be wrong.

'We're hungry,' I said. 'We're going to get something for lunch.'

'Avoid dairy,' mum said. 'You'll be constipated for a week.' She wouldn't make eye contact with dad. Her childishness was ridiculous.

'Tate was fantastic,' dad said at last. 'I was so proud.'

'We put a lot of work into it,' mum said, her words singeing at the edges. She meant that she puts a lot of work into it, the grand martyr who drives Tate to classes three times a week and fixes sequins onto aqua blue bow ties. 'Good of you to come. Shame you can't stay until the end.' It was another of her victory moments; she is more dedicated and more devoted to the children than dad. She deserves so many medals her chest will collapse from the weight.

I could see my nana approaching in the distance. It was about to get even more awkward. I pretended I didn't see her and said, 'Bye mum, love you. See you Monday night.' I gave her a quick peck on the cheek and walked away as fast as I could.