Chapter 25

I called dad a few minutes before school started on Zuri's phone.

'Dad, it's Macy.'

'Macy? Is everything all right?'

'Yeah, yeah, I'm just calling on Zuri's phone because we didn't get to chat last night. Sorry, I was in my bedroom when you called. I got distracted.'

'That's okay,' dad said. 'Just good to know you're fine. How did things go with your mum after the other day? You know, when we were late back and all.'

That day seemed like a million lifetimes ago.

'I told her I had the best day ever,' I said. 'That shut her up.'

'Macy!'

'What? It was ridiculous. It wasn't like you'd kidnapped me or anything.'

'Well, yeah.'

'She's bat shit crazy.'

'She's still your mum.'

'I know, I know. I just hope it's not in my blood.' I thought about my panic attack the other day. Was that the first misapplication of my genetic makeup? 'I should be able to talk to you whenever I like. My friend Tucker sees his dad any time he wants. Absolutely no rules at all.'

'Tucker, hey?'

'Yeah. Just a boy from the skate park. I've got lots of friends who are boys, dad.'

'All right, all right. How's Tate?'

'Okay, I guess. He's in proper rehearsals for Mary Poppins now.'

'That's good.'

'How are you and Sandra? Any news on the apartment? I'm so excited for you. I told Tate about it too.'

'The sale has gone unconditional. All the paperwork with the bank has gone through. It was a bit touch and go for a bit. It's harder to get a loan having your own business, when income goes up and down so much. The banks have really tightened their belts. But I needn't worry you with all that stuff. It's boring.'

The school bell started ringing.

'Is that the bell?' dad asked. 'You better get to class. What's up first?'

'English.'

'Excellent. I love you darling.'

'Love you dad.' I hung up and gave Zuri her phone. She'd been waiting patiently for me by the art room.

'All good?' she asked.

'Yeah, thanks for that,' I said. 'He's only allowed to call on a Wednesday, and I missed his call.'

'You can ring him anytime on my phone if you like,' she said, knowing that it's the bane of my existence that my mum won't let me have a phone when everyone, absolutely everyone, has one. Mum's big worry was about us being exposed to electromagnetic radiation and getting migraines, nausea, fatigue – the list went on and on and on.

Zuri and I walked towards our homeroom.

'Did you ask your mum about staying at mine on Saturday?' she asked. 'For the party? I mean, don't tell her about the party. Just ask her about the sleepover. My parents are cool about stuff like that.'

'I haven't asked yet, but I will tonight. Tucker came over last night,' I said.

'Ohh la la,' Zuri said. 'Anything?'

'I think we almost kissed.'

'Almost?'

'Yeah, well his dog came bounding over the fence. That kind of ruined the moment.'

Zuri giggled. 'This is such a slow burn,' she said.

'Slow burn?'

'The two of you. Like get it on already. It has to happen Saturday night for sure.' She paused, then added, 'No pressure.'

'Yeah right,' I said. 'I'm feeling heaps of pressure.'