17. |The story of Nak Dare and The Boat Paddler --Till the end of time

Pontianak, 1942

One night, Hamid and I attended a Jepin rehearsal that was held at the city hall. The location of city hall itself was just a block opposite the post office, in the area of Tanah Seribu (One Thousand Land).

There would be a culture festival in the following week. The dancers, the choreographers, the musicians, the singers, the technicians were all gathered to rehearse the show. Hamid belonged to the musician group playing traditional Malay music to accompany the Jepin dance.
I was just an accompany to him that night when I realized how little the exposure of this Malay culture was-my own culture-to me in the past..I didn't even know the dance steps until that day, when I met Hamid's mother at the Sultan Palace during the school visit.

She was the tutor for those Jepin dancers, for both girls and boys for years. Such an amazing Jepin artist.

"Dinda my love, I need you to sit here and wait for me practicing. I won't be long." He said as he moved to join his friends.

Then I sat there, near the stage rim alone. Before me, those musicians sat on the floor holding their own musical instruments while those dancers were on the stage.

They practiced seriously, every mistake was corrected immediately. I was awed with the violinist. He played flawlessly. The sound was so melodious. That I swore to God, I loved my culture and promised to conserve it in the future.

Then it came the break time. Everyone mingled and enjoyed the coffee, tea, and refreshments. Hamid was there, too. Talking happily with a female dancer. I recognized her as the dancer I saw at Yuni's sister wedding. The one that I envied.

I knew I shouldn't have envied. I knew Hamid well. He was just nice to everyone. But still I couldn't resist the feeling of jealousy here.

I waved my right hand to him. Calling him to come to me.
When he was near, I whispered to his ear, "Darling, if you have finished, can we go? Now?"
He looked deep down into my eyes, understood what I felt, then he said, "Alright, just a sec. I need to talk to Yusuf first, he is our leader."

Then, minutes after,
we walked through the night to the pier where the boat was tied. As always, Hamid assisted me onboard. Boating at night on Kapuas river was a bit scary but Hamid was the master. He knew this river well. I trusted my safety on him.

"Dinda, don't get mad at me. I was just her friend. Nothing more than that.." He said as he rowed. I wondered how Hamid knew what was on my mind.

"Kanda, I know that.  I just can't resist it. It's just because I love you this much..." I spread my arms.

Those lanterns at both riverbanks lighted us a bit. Hamid stopped rowing only to land a quick kiss on me. Gosh! I love him!