8-Defiant

"What did she do?"

I stiffened when I heard the maid's cold patronizing tone. She had come out of the kitchen and saw me getting dragged through the hall by this random shifter.

She sounded like she was ready to jump at me and tear my head off at whatever stupid human bullshit I had pulled.

"The alpha requested for her to see Hershey." the man simply answered, annoyed. I didn't even know what this guy looked like. I was just walking behind a blob of a figure.

And about that; What on god's green earth happened in there?

Despite being blind I knew I had bumped into alpha Killian, I haven't got a clue as to how. My body recognized a familiar and very welcomed presence. When he touched me, my stomach unknotted and my pains eased. When he grabbed my hand out of the shards of glass, it almost seemed like he cared.

The way he choked then mercilessly ordered for me to be killed yesterday made me think this was all there was to him. It didn't even cross my mind that he had a civil side.

Did he feel bad for me or was I reading too much into this? Maybe it simply was necessary for the 'Help' to be able to see properly so I can do my tasks well and don't end up breaking the entire plate shelf.

The person I was following was visibly livid. I wasn't sure if it was because I bumped into his glorious king leader or if it was because he was stuck having to take me to what I think is a doctor instead of having breakfast with everyone else.

His nostrils flared suddenly. Exhaling loudly.

"Your stench better not stick to me." he warned and I instinctively turned my head to sniff my shoulder. I didn't smell a thing. I tried to yank my arm out of his grip but he held it tight and kept walking.

My stench..

I followed behind him quietly. The rage I felt for these animals was still somewhere inside me, but I couldn't help the passivity; Being a human, the minority, the loathed, the enslaved, living in the quarters of big, scary opposing forces who already had a personal vendetta against you. Second, being younger and smaller in size. Even by female standards, because both the maid and the girl who slapped Julia were taller, fitter, and seemingly older. Lastly, not being able to see anything didn't do much for my will to oppose any of them.

I felt trapped.

Did I want to jump at alpha Killian's throat and rip off his eyeballs for what he did to Kelsey? Yes.

Could I have tried to do it? Yes.

Would that have been a smart move? Absolutely not.

...And what's with the fucking tingles every time we touched?

Moral of the story, I have nothing playing in my favor right now, so I will remain passive and silent. I will quietly take the sneers and nasty comments. So far I wasn't battered. I know they could have beaten me to death by now, rip me apart, tear my insides away, but they haven't. I will wait for an opening. I'm not sure what kind, but I will.

It'll turn up.

It has to.

We went up a flight of stairs and made a few turns. He then suddenly stopped before I heard him twist a knob and open a creaking door.

"Get in." he circled around me so I went first and I obeyed. The smell of medicine, herbs and bleach hit my nose.

"Riley!" I heard Julia's voice call to me and I turned my head towards the sound.