35-Targeted

Corry is getting paid. Julia is taking a leap of faith for her freedom. Even if I was the one involving them, they still had something to gain.

But Ruth-

"All set," she smiled, putting the items back in the bag, "Keep it clean or it'll get infected!" she warned and I thanked her before she left.

Ruth was just an innocent person trying to help.

I grabbed the shirt she left on my bed, memories of the beginning of the year coming back to me. I clutched it tight in my hand, wishing I could go back a few months and undo everything that's happened. I wish I had a check point to teleport to. Maybe December 1st. When everything was perfect and I was clueless about the very existence of shifters. I was happy.

I frowned when something crossed my mind.

My dad never was.

I was clueless and carefree, but dad had been acting weird since December.

Dad had warned me about shifters back in January; it went through one ear and out the other because instead of spitting out what was truly happening, he turned it into a vague warning that seemed completely irrelevant to me.

He explained what shifters were and how dangerous they could be. Out of nowhere, one day, he came into my room while I was watching a show, sat on my bed with a grim look on his face and told me about werewolves. He didn't make it sound as urgent as he should've, maybe he didn't want to alarm me. He was calm but apprehensive. I was astonished at the news, but I never pondered the reason he was telling me then. I thought he finally deemed me old enough to know about adult matters. Did I think I was being targeted? No. Because he never told me to personally beware. He said to never utter a word to Kelsey about it and left it at that. He made me promise not to go places by myself and I simply shrugged it as my dad being his usual overprotective self.

Make matters worse, I went to places alone constantly, never listening to him. From the mall to my friends' houses to practically everywhere else, again and again, because why would I deprive myself of my normal lifestyle just because dad was worried of shifters existence? I just never told him about it. Until one day, I got shoved in David's car and driven to a basement.

Dad should've laid all the facts down. Not just part of the story. I would've never put myself at risk had I known a dangerous alpha was after me.

"Knock knock," Julia's head poked out of the door before she walked in. I tied the lace of my sweatpants before throwing myself on the bed. It felt nice to be clean and wearing comfortable clothes, lying on a comfortable bed.

Not worrying about sitting properly in case a shifter walked in.

"Want some lunch? Head downstairs," she announced, sitting down on the bed facing mine.

"I want some sleep," I said with my eyes plastered on the ceiling fan. I wanted to sleep but I couldn't, I was afraid to dream about alpha Killian again.

"I learned how to make dumplings today," she grinned and I couldn't help the smile that stretched over my lips. Watching Julia discover mundane things we took for granted was eye opening.

"Is Chinese food to your liking so far?"

"I love it," she answered immediately, "It's so refreshing, all we ever prepared at the pack house was meat," she whined, "and I get it, that pack is made out of warriors and they're huge men who need their protein, but eat a fucking bread stick once in a while you know?"

I frowned before I sat down, a little confused at the use of "That pack" in her statement.

"Aren't all packs made out of warriors?" I asked. Actually, aren't all werewolves warriors? They're wolves. They're big. They're strong.