33-Oblivious

The sound of the spoon falling from my hand into my bowl resonated in the dining room as I stared at him, open mouthed, wide eyed, astonished. I wanted to let out a loud, confused 'What the fuck do you mean?' but no sound came out of me. My inner dialogue fell completely silent as my brain lost the ability to formulate any thoughts.

I blinked and he looked at me, amused at my ignorance. Before he nodded to assure me he wasn't joking.

I closed my mouth and tried to swallow the rice that was under my tongue. Unable to talk. It felt like pebbles going down my throat.

Killian was a friend of my dad's ? In what dimension? HOW did I not know this? It made no sense. His name was brought up like 400 times when I was preparing to leave for the witness protection program, you'd think my dad would've been like 'Hey, by the way, this my homie we're running from.'

"Dad never mentioned knowing him." I informed, slightly skeptical. Was this the same alpha we were talking about? Maybe there was a mistake.

Now that I think about it, dad always acted vague, unsure and sometimes defeated when dealing with the whole situation this summer, I just thought he felt powerless and scared of unknown high ranking shifters. It never occurred to me that he was acquainted with who we were going against.

"Your dad wanted you and your sister to stay in the dark," he stated, "Most justice's children have no idea shifters even exist to begin with, because a child that knows is a child that is a child at risk of being targeted," He continued before he scratched his chin, "I shouldn't have told you that," he mumbled to himself, bothered, "Perhaps your father wanted to tell you this himself.."

Nu uh! You're telling me everything now! I'm not waiting for dad to decide if he wants me to know or not. He probably doesn't.

I've seen how he kept everything that was happening from Kelsey, he was good at it, too.

"How did they know each other? How close were they?" I threw my spoon and chopsticks inside the bowl and brought my chair closer to him. This was getting interesting. I had never expected dad to be friends with the alpha himself.

Was there beef between them? Was that why he always treated me like I was his arch nemesis? Besides the fact that I killed his brother of course.

"They were very good friends, I would go as far as saying they were best friends?" he said, unsure of himself and my jaw fell open one more time.

Excuse me, what the fuck? When was I going to hear about this?

"They had a lot of respect for one another," he continued, "Which was sadly lost earlier this year."

"Why..?" I asked. Impatient. What the hell went down?

"Because alpha Killian asked to meet you." He declared and my heart leaped in my chest.

"What did he want with me?" I realized my tone of voice was a little too excited and dialed it back a little when Corry looked at me suspiciously.

I'm not sure why that made me feel warm and fuzzy inside but it did. Killian asked my dad to see me, SIX WHOLE MONTHS before I even got kidnapped?

I frowned, wait, that was around the time my dad sat me down and told me about shifters for the first time.

Was he preparing me in case shit went down?

"That I don't know, could be he got curious," he shrugged, seemingly perplexed; "Your dad was doing everything in his power to keep you and your sister from being exposed to shifters, much like any justice would," He took his phone out to check for notifications as if he was waiting for one and I remembered dad should be calling us anytime now, "He is a wolf, when you desperately hide something from him the way your dad was hiding you and Kelsey, it's only a matter of time before he gets interested and curious, much like a dog with a chase response, but that's just my theory." He looked back at me to study my reaction.