Prologue

I could feel my mother's heightening agitation as she almost shoved my brother and I into the closet.
"Hide in here for a while, okay?" She said almost pleading.
"I'm hungry." Finn complained.
Mum turned her focus on him and she held him by the shoulders. "When we finish playing this game I will make you some cake, okay?" She told him gently stoking the base of his neck with her thumbs.
Finn looked like he was about to burst into tears but he nodded solemnly.
Then she turned to me.
"Make sure you stay in here quietly. Don't come out until I come to get you. You understand?" She told me sternly.
I, too wanted to argue but the agitation in her voice made me nod in agreement.
"No matter what don't come out of this closet, you hear?"
"Yes, mummy." I said with a little nod. I opened my mouth again to ask why we were getting in the closet but the sound of the door bell seemed to startle mum and she shoved us in the closet. After a second, we heard the door lock and Finn released a tiny whimper.
"Shhh!" I hushed him.
We stood there listening to the steady buzz of conversation coming from downstairs, then suddenly, a voice rose above the rest and it was laced with anger and with that, the angry yelling began.
Finn tightened his grip on my hand and I saw his lip quiver-he was on the verge of tears but then so was I.
As the voices continued to rage on, it seemed like the closet was getting smaller and darker-needless say, we were terrified. And we had no idea what was going on.
I could hear my dad's voice as well as my mum's, they were very angry.
I glanced over at Finn and saw that his eyes were glistening with tears so I gently squeezed his hand hoping I wouldn't start crying myself.
Just when I thought it was about to end, the voices downstairs rose even louder causing my heart to pound ferociously in my chest. I could even make out what someone whose voice I couldn't place was shouting.
"It will change everything!" He yelled sounding desperate.
Finn whimpered again so I pushed his head gently against my chest and covered his ear with my other hand. I could feel his heart pounding just as hard as mine.
In the heat of the argument downstairs I heard a powerful piercing scream which at first i thought was coming from me but when I covered my mouth, the scream continued.
It was as if it was penetrating the deepest folds of my soul scratching me inside out leaving me blue and purple. I felt as though me senses were being rattled and there was nothing I could do to stop it. It was the most extraordinary thing I had ever experienced.
Then as suddenly as it started it stopped leaving me feeling like I had been robbed of something important.
Finn looked up at me with a void expression on his face and I shook my head at him then hugged him close again.
After what seemed like hours, I heard the lock click and my mum opened the door with the widest smile on her face.
"There you are." She beamed. Something wasn't quite right.