Chapter Nineteen

"Do you like my brother?" Alek asked

"Do you like my brother?" Alek asked. A clatter of saucepans followed from the kitchen. My eyes widened, taken aback by the question Alek had asked.

"I heard that!" Dorian yelled from the kitchen.

I side eyed Alek as we both sat at the coffee table. The both of us had a piece of paper to draw on. The new colouring pencils I had bought Alek were strewn across the table.

"In what way?" I asked quietly, not sure if telling Dorian's younger brother was right or wrong. Alek looked up at me, tilting his head to think. I continued to sketch out a face on my piece of paper.

"Like... the way... the way my mom and dad say I love you to each other."

My heart fluttered at what Alek said. I continued to draw some of face - the outline of the eyes, nose and mouth. I looked at Alek and saw he was waiting for an answer.

"Let me tell you a secret." I said, moving closer to him so that I could whisper in his ear. His eyes gleamed, ready for the secret I was about to tell him. "I really like your brother."

Alek's bright blue eyes lit up. "Does he kiss you? Does he go mwah mwah mwah?" Alek pretended to kiss the air as he danced around. I giggled at his actions, wondering how someone at his age could come up with something like this.

Out of nowhere, Dorian came into the lounge and threw Alek over his shoulder.

He looked over at me with a slight gleam in his eyes as Alek shouted and protested at him to be put down. The ever-familiar small smirk formed on Dorian's lips. I beamed at him.

"Can you help me with dinner?" Dorian asked ever so casually.

I nodded in reply.

Following him into the kitchen, I could see the slick marble worktops and the coordinated white design. Dorian finally placed Alek onto the breakfast bar before getting out a chopping board, a knife, and a few ingredients to chop up. I stood beside Alek and pulled a funny face at him, making the little boy giggle.

"So, for dinner tonight, we have a few options." Dorian said with a clap of his hands.

"Pizza!" Alek shouted.

"No!" Dorian replied, handing me a glass of whiskey just the way I liked it. He handed Alek a juice box and pointed to the water bottle as well.

I laughed at Alek's pouting face.

"We could have spaghetti Bolognese, lasagne, or a different pasta dish?" Dorian listed.

"Please, can we have garlic bread?" Alek pleaded, batting his eyelashes and swinging his body at Dorian.

Dorian sighed, hiding the smile that showed he was about to cave in. "Yes, we can have garlic bread!"

"Yeah!" Alek hollered, with his arms in the air.