Chapter Twenty-Eight

Dinner with family wasn't a huge thing for me growing up. With most of my relatives either being dead or having no contact with me, I would often eat alone while the kitchen staff would sort out a late meal for my father once he would come home. Half the time I didn't even see him in the evenings, but somehow he would always have an eye on me.

It was the norm for me. It had always been since I could remember. The only time I didn't spend dinner alone was when I was at Beth's house after school. It was different. It wasn't only. It wasn't quiet. The noise was loud. It was crazy, and I loved it. Most of the time it would be fish and chips from Kelli-Anne's favourite chippy. But on the nights when she had time to cook, those were the nights I would never want to forget.

One night it would be bangers and mash. Or chicken and mushroom pie. The next time, it could be something simple, like cheese and toast. Or beans on toast with a fried egg on the side.

The last time I had dinner with Beth and her family, was the night before I met Daniel. That night we had chicken soup with fresh seeded bread to dip in. Beth's house was eerily quiet that night. It should have been the first sign of what was to come. But like any other time, I ate my dinner while Beth went on about her day. Kelli-Anne complained about tube delays. Charlie and Liam wolfed down their dinner, like always.

But this was the first-time dinner felt different. Both the present and the past were together, side by side. Round the table, we all sat beside one another. Dorian sat beside me with Beth on his other side. Jacob sat beside his fiancée. There was still a space between Jacob and me, for Kelli-Anne, who was placing the food on the table. With all the excitement, mainly coming from Kelli-Anne, Jacob and Beth had their hands intertwined. Every so often, Jacob would press his lips on the back of Beth's hand.

"Oh, for god's sake, man! Can you keep your hands off my daughter until dinner is done?"

I stifled a giggle, feeling Dorian's hand slide into mine under the table.

"Same goes for you Dorian!" Kelli-Anne said, pointing the serving spoon at the man I loved.

The man I loved...

Dorian's jaw dropped. Beth couldn't help herself from laughing at the predicament both men were in. I took a long sip of the white wine from my glass, hiding a smile as I drank. Kelli-Anne continued spooning the food onto the plates whilst talking about the guests who would join us for the wedding.

"Oh!" She exclaimed, turning to Beth. "Your brothers are meeting us at the hotel!"

"Beth has brothers?" Dorian asked with surprise. "Why did I think you were an only child?"

"I give off that vibe." She said with a wink. I chuckled.

"How many brothers?" Dorian continued to ask.

"Two, twins. Non-identical and they are older than me."

"You've met them?" Dorian asked Jacob. To be frank, no one spoke of Charlie and Liam because of the trouble they caused or had gotten themselves into. But when they were around, they were a right laugh and knew how to throw a party. I had so many memories of them at school. Especially Charlie.

"Yeah, I have," Jacob replied coldly.

I looked between the two of them, confused by the sudden change. I shook my head and focused back on the dinner. Maybe I was imagining things. Maybe I was tired.

"Dorian Beth was doing you a favour. She's saving you from a pair of plonkers." Kelli showed.

"Plonkers?" Dorian repeated silently to himself. "I don't think I have heard of anything more British." He murmured loud enough for me to hear.