Chapter Thirty-Nine

Dorian's POV

Dorian's POV

Taking the silk bow tie off again, I sighed heavily. I usually wasn't one to get nervous. But today was a first for me. The End-OF-Summer Ball at our family's business empire was the moment when I would officially become CEO.

I stood in the walk-in closet of my bedroom in my city penthouse. Dad had decided to stay in the city with me, hoping to spend some quality time and pass on some words of wisdom before giving up his place at the same company he had spent years expanding and building.

Mom planned to be joining us at the venue once she had put Alek to bed. We all knew he wouldn't be able to make it through the night, especially with how late it would finish. Dorothea would be at the house all night just in case anything happened.

"Your Mother's already at the venue," I heard Dad's voice enter the room before turning around to face him. He looked at me with those same blue eyes I had inherited. Clipping the last silver cuff link on his sleeve, Dad's face filled with that same hopeful smile he had given me ever since I was little. "Are you ready to become the CEO?"

Straightening my tie, I looked in the mirror one last time. Seeing him in the reflection of the mirror, I nodded.

"Yeah," I breathed. "I'm ready." I picked up the suit jacket and swiftly put it on like I had done a million times before.

With a pat on my back, the man that had taught me right from wrong led us out of my bedroom and to the elevator.

"You don't mind if we take the helicopter?" Dad said with a smirk. Even if he wasn't well enough to take on the stresses of running the family empire, he still wanted to have a little bit of fun now and again.

I looked up at him with a smirk. "Let's go."

Swiping the key card to the rooftop only accessed by us, the elevator went up. The only times we had the helicopter on the roof were at the request of my father or me. I hadn't used it as much as I used to and with Dad's health, we ended up letting other people use it instead. I was surprised to see our Pilot, ready for us, waiting.

"You had this planned, didn't you?" I couldn't help but chuckle.

"From the moment you were born kiddo."

The both of us entered the chopper and strapped ourselves into the seats. With the headsets on and the pilot ready, we took off.

I had forgotten how beautiful the city was at night. It was beautiful. All the lights dotted all over the city skyscrapers looked as if stars had fallen to the ground.

"Do you know when I realised I fell in love with your mother?" I heard Dad's voice through the headset.

I turned to him and replied with a no, intrigued and curious to hear what he was going to say next.

"It was at the end of summer." He smiled softly at the memory. "Funnily enough it was at the 'End-Of-Summer' Ball. I remember my father giving a speech about love and passion and how it had built, not only a company but also a family he could never walk away from."