Chapter Thirty

Waking up was easy

Waking up was easy. But, getting yourself out of bed was always the hardest.

My eyes flickered open to the bare white walls. The blank emptiness of the room made me realise I was somewhere I hadn't been in a long time. I shot up, realising where I was. The bare walls had nothing decorative on them. I could feel my chest getting tighter and the walls closing in.

No. This couldn't be happening. I didn't live here anymore. I had left this place. Why was I here?

I closed my eyes momentarily, only to stand in the middle of a crowded venue. People were laughing, talking and drinking as I looked around me. The sound of the band's music filled the enormous hall. The same unbroken rhythm played on and on. There were people I had seen before. People my father had stolen from.

I looked down at the dress I was wearing. It was the same emerald gown I wore that night. The same gown that felt as if it was tightening around me, suffocating me, stopping me from breathing. I tried to make my way through the people surrounding me. I couldn't get through. Why was no one letting me through?

Everywhere I turned, I couldn't find a place to run to.

And then I saw him.

Daniel.

Suddenly, I could make my way through the crowd. To him. I could run to him. I could run away with him. My heart was racing; beating hard against my chest.

"Alena."

I turned around to see who called me. Everyone was still talking and drinking.

"Alena." I recognised the comforting tone of the voice.

Dorian.

Dorian was calling my name.

I tried to find him as I walked through the crowd. My shoulder collided with something hard. Looking up, I could see him standing in front of me. He was dressed in a tux; it was as if I had seen him wearing that tux before. He stood beside an older-looking man. Someone familiar. It was as if I had painted his face before. They were both looking at someone.

They were both looking at me.

My body jolted awake. I gasped for air. What the hell was going on?

I looked around the room I was staying in for the wedding.

Dorian was nowhere near me. He was in his room. Jacob suggested that the both of us should take separate rooms for the wedding. It seemed fair considering the fact Dorian was stressed out with his work. The last thing I wanted to be was the clingy one in the relationship.

Deciding that the nap I had and so needed was not worth it, I got out of bed and freshened up before changing into the black-and-white striped playsuit I had packed.

The evening summer sunset made its way through the windows. The orange sky was filled with hues of lilac and cotton candy-coloured clouds. Normally, the weather wasn't usually like this. Beth's mum was praying for wonderful weather for the big day. She just wanted everything to go smoothly. We all were. Everything had been planned to the precise point and just needed to be carried out on the day.