Chapter Thirty-Six

Dorian's POV

Dorian's POV

"Was any of this real?"

The truth was, it was all real. Every kiss, every touch, and every time I looked into those eyes; she made me feel as if nothing else mattered.

I watched her leave. Just like the first night I had seen her, she was gone. I swallowed the last of the whiskey from the glass I had poured myself. That was all I wanted to do. I wanted to drink until everything felt numb. I headed to the hidden mini bar and reached for the bottle of whiskey.

I regretted not telling her sooner, but the fear of losing her clouded my judgement. I looked at my phone, her face illuminated the screen. She sat on her couch with her hair let down. She leaned her notepad against her thighs as she sketched one of the millions of ideas she had in her mind.

Alena was a survivor. She was a fighter. She didn't need me. All this time it seemed I needed her. I needed her so that I could prove to myself I was a good man, a better man than I had been before.

I dropped the phone on the bed as I swallowed the contents of the glass. I hated myself for hurting her. I hated myself for not telling the truth. If I told her in the beginning would she have run away? Would she have given me a chance?

Rain pelted against the window as the sky darkened. Gone was the sunshine, it was as if she had taken it with her. Gone was her laughter. Alena was now gone.

I placed the glass on the bedside table. I made my way to the en-suite, taking off my shirt. Turning the shower on, I took off the rest of my clothes. I opened the frosted glass door and felt the droplets of hot water patter my body. My mind was elsewhere as I rested my head against the cold, tiled walls.

Out of all the things I had done in my life, this was what I felt guilty about the most. I could have chased after her. But, I didn't. I should have fought for her, but I didn't.

Hearing the sound of my phone's ringtone, I shut off the water and grabbed a towel from the railing. Heavy thumps slammed against my chest as my heart hoped that it was Alena calling me. With the towel around my waist and my body still dripping wet, I picked up my phone seeing the missed calls.

Now, my heart was beating for a different reason.

Immediately, I called back Mom. I pleaded for her to pick up faster as the tone of the ringing carried on and on.

"Dorian," She said with a sob. My heart dropped hearing her voice.

"Mom," my breaths quickened. "What's wrong?"

"Dorian, it's your Dad."

*

Everyone always wants money. No matter how poor or rich you are, people will always have that greed within them.

Dad taught me we could afford to be generous and give to the less fortunate. He also believed that people should invest in their children and future, and good health saves money. In his case, the last one didn't work for him.