Chapter Two

If there was a wrong time to cry, it was now

There was one thing I knew I wanted, it was a happy and long life. I wanted to be successful. I wanted to be independent. I wanted laughter and I wanted joy. All those unfinished paintings, all those missed opportunities and all those memories flooded my mind until he spoke again.

"I'm going to let you go. I don't want you to scream or call the authorities. So... just pass me the metal pole. And we can just leave and go our separate ways."

His hand slowly uncovered my mouth, but his other arm was still holding me back from running. As his hand glided down my arm to grab the pole, I slipped out of his grasp. I turned around to face him and held the pole against him.

There standing in front of me stood a tall, handsome dark blonde guy in a designer suit. A maroon red tie hung loosely around his neck. Butterflies fluttered as his piercing blue eyes lay onto me.

"I not going to hurt you," He said calmly, his hands up in the air. "Trust me."

"Why would I trust you?" I shot back. "I barely know you."

"Okay," he said softly. "That's fair.

His eyes glimmered as they he looked me up and down. I knew the scarlet dress would draw attention, but I didn't want it in this moment.

"What exactly are you doing in my gallery?" I asked with narrow eyes

"I needed to get away from the paparazzi." I relaxed a little and lowered the pole.

That's who the paps were chasing. They wanted him... but why?

He took a step forward and I found myself raising the pole again.

"Do you actually think I'm that stupid to believe that?" I questioned him.

He raised his hands up again and pressed his lips into a thin line.

"You better stop right there, mister!" I threatened.

"Or what?" His gleaming blue eyes locked onto mine. "You are already threatening me with that pole. You have me with my hands above my head. You look as though you are gonna attack, and by the way, if you do attack me you will be sued-"

"Are you for real?!" I exclaimed. "You are the one hiding in my art gallery."

"Then why have you still got a metal pole in your hand?" He pointed to my hands.

We both stood silently before I finally chucked the metal pole into the studio.

"Thank you," He muttered, his hands loosened the tie and took it off completely. I watched as he rolled it up as he placed it in his pocket.

"Don't make it a habit," I whispered.

"Are the paparazzi still out there?" He asked looking down at me.

I stood up straight, running my hand through my hair.

"I saw a group but they left. What's it to you?"

He let out a chuckle that followed with a soft smile.

"It doesn't matter."

I opened the door and watched as he left the building. His hands were in his pocket as he walked out. He looked up at the night sky, taking in the clear view. Switching off the light, I exited out the gallery and closed the door behind me. I reached down to my shoes I had left earlier and took the first two steps up the stairs.

"How long have you been in the Hamptons?" I turned to see him watching me, his eyes curious. "Because you are definitely not from around here."

"It doesn't matter." I said, repeating the words he said not long ago.

He smiled again. "By the way, if you need any help with that painting I wouldn't mind offering. See you around."

I watched him walk away and leave, as if nothing had happened between us. I wanted to let this slide but for some reason I couldn't.

Forget about him, he's not worth it.

But, I didn't want to forget about him, nor the incident. For some reason, I wanted it to happen again. All over again.