Chapter Thirty-Five

I was always good at leaving

I was always good at leaving. When everything felt wrong and I couldn't handle anything else, leaving felt like the only option.

I packed everything into my suitcase. Walking into the bathroom, I grabbed the complimentary toiletries and placed them into my bag. The pattering of raindrops hitting the window could be heard. From where I was standing I could see some of Beth and Jacob's family running back into the ballroom.

Luckily the newlywed couple had escaped the changing weather and were on the way to their honeymoon destination. They would get to enjoy the honeymoon bliss of their relationship.

Dorian and I...

Well, it was uncertain.

How could I have been so stupid?

Checking the room one last time, I slipped on the light jacket I had bought with me and took the umbrella out of the side pocket of the suitcase before dropping it into my handbag.

Opening the door, I found Dorian standing in the open doorway of his room. He looked how I was feeling. His tie was loosened and hanging around his neck, and the top couple of buttons to his shirt were undone. But those blue eyes...

Those familiar blue eyes now belonged to a stranger.

"Alena... Please?" His eyes were glazed, yet he was still fighting his true emotions.

Taking hold of my bags, I pulled them out of my room. The door closed behind me. I didn't even want to look at him. I knew if I did I wouldn't know how to feel and how to act. Confused was an understatement of how I felt about the whole situation. His hand rested on my shoulder only for me to shrug it off.

I dragged my bags and walked down the corridor to the lift.

I was furious at him.

Yet, something deep down inside of me wanted Dorian to come after me. To convince me to stay.

But would it be worth it?

It was ridiculous...

With Jacob and Beth having taken the jet for their honeymoon, Dorian had bought first-class tickets for the both of us to use for the trip back to New York. In a perfect world, they would have been used in 3 days and the two of us would be sipping champagne while I remained oblivious to what Dorian had hidden.

I couldn't stay here any longer and I couldn't stay in this hotel knowing he was only across the hall from me.

The lift doors opened to the ground floor, presenting me to the reception and hotel bar entrance I had become so familiar with the last few days. My feel walked to the bar with my suitcase in tow. Charlie had his back to the rest of the room as he sat at the bar. His fingers traced the rim of the glass he was drinking. My hand rested on his shoulder and his eyes darted to me. His face softened as he saw me.