Chapter Thirty-Four

The wedding went perfectly

The wedding went perfectly. There were no mishaps. There were no errors. Everything had gone just as planned. Hair and Makeup went perfectly. Even though it was a last-minute dress, it fitted Beth perfectly. The band played the right songs as the bride walked down the aisle. There were smiles and laughter during the ceremony. Both Jacob and Beth shared their first kiss as husband and wife. Nothing went wrong.

At the reception, Dorian said his speech. To everyone else, it was the perfect speech. There were stories of Jacob, Tony and him. The fact that Jacob found love. The way he was so proud of both of them. He thanked Beth for bringing part of Jacob. As he congratulated the newlywed couple, I wondered how he could hide something all this time. Why didn't he tell me the truth? Why didn't he say anything? How did he know?

Jacob's speech was next. It was mostly about Beth and how the both of them met. My eyes wandered over the champagne flute in front of me. I so needed the liquid courage. But every part of me needed to be calm.

As Jacob finished his toast, glasses clinked and I downed the glass of bubbly. The next thing I knew I left the hall.

I now stood on the grass watching the sunset. The warm summer night was the only thing comforting me. The reception was still going on inside as the newlywed couple celebrated with their family and guests.

My mind couldn't take it and the returning feeling of loneliness came flooding back with the memories of my past life.

Meeting Daniel for the first time, the last ball at the Jacobs Company, and holding the person who protected me as he took his last breath.

My loose curls moved to one side as I felt Dorian's familiar lips press a soft kiss where my shoulder and neck met.

"Don't." The words came out harsh. Immediately, he stopped. His eyes filled with confusion and concern. Mine were filled with disbelief and resentment as I looked up at those not-so-familiar blue eyes.

"Alena, what's wrong?" He searched for something, anything, a sign to tell him if he had done something wrong. "I know you were smiling and enjoying yourself for Jacob and Beth but... Something's been off. I thought we were fine last night. Please tell me what's-"

"Tell me the truth," I whispered.

He shoved his hands in his pockets. Dorian closed those blue eyes of his.

"Tell me the truth right now," my voice was loud but broken.

His lips remained tight. He wasn't going to budge. He didn't know what he was going to confess to. Not yet.

"Elinor Jacobs," I said.

Like a deer caught in headlights, Dorian's lips parted.

"I' m not doing this out here," He uttered.

"The thing is, we're going to have to talk about this. Because you have a lie to keep up with, don't you?"

The both of us stood in silence. I was waiting for him to answer. He wasn't ready to explain himself. That wasn't his plan. But then again, I had no idea what his plan was. I felt as if I didn't know this man anymore.