Chapter 8: Someone Should Know What You Don't Remember

It's dark on the streets of New York. Now it's about eight or nine o'clock. A little excited tall man is walking, almost running with a quick step. By far not a young boy, but not a decrepit one. The one with dark hair is wearing all black and walking kind of hesitantly, slouching slightly as if he is afraid of something or someone.

This mysterious stranger walks in a deserted place full of high trees, grass, and weeds, for a long time. And some time later, he comes to a low, shabby building that is made of little rotted bricks and located in quite a quiet and deep place. After looking around scarily, the man enters it, goes down long halls, gets up on an old, squeaky elevator, comes to one of many doors, and unlocks it with a key that he takes from the inside pocket of his coat. When the stranger sharply pulls the door on himself, opens it, and enters the small apartment, he exhales with closed eyes, leans on the wall, and raises his head, thinking about something bad with anxiety in his soul.

After standing near the door for a few seconds, the man quickly finds a switcher that can switch on and switch off the light in this apartment, which is tiny. When he turns the switcher to another side, the light lights up one of the small halls in this apartment, where there is some old furniture. It's quite cold here because all the windows are open. It makes the stranger shake from the coldness much stronger and try to warm himself up, embracing himself with his arms and rubbing his body.

He is hiding his eyes and hair under big dark glasses and a hood from his black coat that has lost its brightness and looks as cheap as his pale black jeans and shoes that are ripped on the sides. But it's possible to see his noticeable bristle with dark and white hairs and little shrunk cheeks and see his skin is a little white and shriveled due to his by far not young age. The man, who looks like a homeless beggar, also has a definitely good body and looks quite slim, fit, and tough.

Some time later, the stranger slowly comes to one of the windows and starts to watch what's happening outside without any emotions on his face. However, there is nobody and nothing in this dark place but trees, bushes, grass, and some low buildings, the windows of which are spreading bright light. But then the man exhales sharply, running his hands over his face, takes his touch-tone phone, which was definitely bought a long time ago and has crushes in some places, from the pocket, types someone's number, still standing near the window, and starts to wait for an answer excitedly. Luckily, a voice that belongs to a man answers him.

"Hello," the masculine, low voice says.

"Good afternoon, it's me," the man replies quietly in a quiet, little shaking voice.

"Yes, yes, I got it. Good afternoon."

"Sorry for bothering you. You are supposed to work."

"It's alright, my work time is over. And I wanted to call you."

"I just wanted to know how you were doing. Did you find out something from what I asked you about?"

"Not very much, sadly. But I can say exactly that something not very good is going to happen very soon."

"What?" the stranger gets horrified, rounding his eyes full of fear and horror. "What do you mean?"

"Judging the information that I got through my sources, you can have no doubt that the man is going to stop hiding and start to do what he wants after a long silence. And I'm afraid very many people that have to do with the one you need are in danger."

"Gosh... I hope anybody won't suffer. Or are there some victims?"

"I can't tell you more for a while. That man is kind of silent and not spreading anything among his circles. Unfortunately, my person hasn't found out anything yet."