Chapter 40: Now I Can Say I Love You

Two days later. Terrence and Edward decided to visit their mother, Rebecca, and try to get an explanation about the situation with their father, Jamie. Even if the way is going to be long, they are taking it on their feet, enjoying a little cold but good enough weather, and walking slowly where there is almost nobody.

"C'mon, did Peter agree to return to the band?" Edward wonders.

"We didn't even have to persuade him," Terrence replies cheerfully.

"Listen, that's cool! I'm glad your band has been saved."

"One more problem has been solved! Life starts to seem more wonderful."

"And how's Peter doing now? He's fine?"

"Luckily, Peter is fine. He's slowly getting well, but the doctors say he'll have to spend a lot of time in the hospital. The blond is weak yet and should work his muscles. They atrophied, while he was unconscious and motionless."

"Hey, why did Peter decide to kill himself?"

"Oh, Edward..." Terrence sighs tiredly. "As it turned out, it was a very hard story. Everything is not as easy as we thought."

"Really?" Edward rounds his eyes. "But what happened?"

"Well... First, Peter said he lived in a disadvantaged, poor family with a mother, who gave a fuck about him. She only spent money on drunks and, as I understood, worked nowhere. He's never had a father, and Rose knows nothing about him. To have some money, he played a cajon that he had at home. But as Peter said, his mother took a bigger part and spent it on vodka or something like that."

"My gosh..." Edward pronounces with sadness in his eyes. "Was Peter's mother an alcoholic?"

"Yeah, she drank somewhere after Pete's birth. And if she'd drunk before, she would've given birth to a sick child. But as we know, that guy is absolutely healthy and has no disorders."

"Didn't his mother take care of him? Did she give Peter to someone else? A neighbor!"

"I don't know, but I can say exactly that Peter had to take care of himself in childhood. He always hoped his mother would pay attention to him, but it didn't happen. Being sober, she gave a fuck about him. After drinking, she insulted him, humiliated him, and could even beat him."

"Oh, shit..." Edward shakes his head with horror in his eyes. "But why wasn't he taken away to an orphan house? Why did Peter stay with such a horrible mother?"

"I believe nobody cared about it. If they'd had good neighbors, they would've quickly told someone about Rose's family. That woman would've been deprived of parental rights, and the blond would've been taken to an orphan house. But Peter lived with his mother until graduation from school."

"And then what?"

"His mother left somewhere and didn't come back home. And Peter stayed all alone."

"She left so easily and didn't return?"

"Yup. And who knows what happened to her. Maybe, she drank too much and died on the street... Maybe, she waited for Rose to graduate from school on purpose... I dunno. But she left."

"My gosh, poor Peter..." Edward shakes his head slowly. "I'm feeling more sorry for him."

"Yeah, but the worst thing is not the one. But the fact that the school was hell for him. Guys bullied him as cruelly as possible."

"Bullied?"

"Daniel and I had dumbfounded eyes, while Peter was telling us about those terrible things. He told us everything... As if he broke down."