Chapter 29: You're Stronger Than You Think

It's almost six o'clock. Edward and Terrence just drove to the house of their uncle, Michael. After stopping the car not far from the gates, Terrence starts looking at the house, to which he just came, tightly squeezing the steering wheel with both hands and getting much more nervous but trying not to show it.

"Wow, beautiful house," Terrence frowns slightly, looking at Michael's house. "Even better than mine. Did it really use to belong to Father?"

"At least, Uncle says so," Edward shrugs. "He said Grandfather made him a gift at the majority and bought the house, so he lived here with his future family."

"Beautiful... Stunning... It seems like a good man, who spares no money for making it better is supposed to live here."

"But the rotted man, who spars no poison that he is spreading everywhere, is living in the house," Edward hums quietly, crossing his arms over his chest. "And who is making this house better with Father's money. He stole almost everything from him and now pretends everything belongs only to him."

"Has he always been such a bad man?"

"As long as I remember him, he's never shown good feelings. Even if he was hiding his real side, being with him would always be unpleasant. Uncle Michael always spreads some coldness that makes you feel goosebumps on your whole body."

"And did Father speak to him when living with you, our stepmother, and his children from a second marriage?"

"Uncle wasn't showing up for the time being, but Father often talked about him with my pretense. And Isabella knew who he was. But when I was sixteen, I met my uncle for the first time. That man seemed horrible to me. He wasn't like Father, who didn't show love for me but was much softer. I told myself, 'Keep yourself far from that man! He will give you many problems!' And sadly, it happened..."

"So, it had happened one year before you left home?"

"Yup. And I don't know what happened later. I can't say if Isabella knows about the situation with Uncle and whose side she is on. But since Uncle Michael says nothing about her, he's hardly gonna hurt her and Jeremy and William. He cares only about you and me, Mother, Father, Raquelle, and Natalia."

"Hey, you said Father told Isabella much about Mother and me," Terrence frowns slightly. "Did he trust her and love her so much that he told her these secrets?"

"You know, honestly, there was no love," Edward replies thoughtfully. "Father respected Isabella more than loved. I didn't see him look at her with an ogle gaze and admire her appearance, character, or something like that. Father never acted like he was in love with that woman."

"And she?"

"She truly loved him and looked at him with admiration. Isabella was ready for anything for Father. She even helped him get a job at her firm. His knowledge was good for her, and he helped her much. I heard she admired his work and never told him claims. She had no reason because Father did his work too well. Knowing he was stuck at the office all day long, being surrounded with tons of papers and working on a computer."

"But if Father never loved that woman, why did he marry her?"

"I don't know, Terrence..." Edward shakes her head. "Maybe, Father married her because of money... Because he didn't have a home or a good job. But he met the provided woman and decided to do his best to marry her."

"Wasn't he ashamed of using Isabella's feelings? I'm sure he knew she loved him. That's the real cold math!"

"Who knows what he had on his mind. Maybe, Father married because of money. Maybe, he wanted to forget Mother and replace her with another woman. I dunno... Still, they lived well for many years and didn't think of divorce. Father didn't love Isabella, but he felt comfortable with her."