Chapter 41: I Am No Longer What I Was Before

Two weeks later. It's about half past twelve. Terrence and Raquelle are going somewhere together. While the girl is sitting in the passenger's seat, the man is driving his car and going slowly on the road, which is less busy than usual today.

"Life is getting better," Terrence says cheerfully, holding the steering wheel tightly and watching the road. "I'd say it's getting better than it was before."

"I've gotta agree," Raquelle replies confidently, knocking at the door of the car with her fingers. "It's getting easier to breathe."

"And I'm happy I finally reconciled with Father."

"Yeah! But you were running from him and said he was bad."

"I know, I should've listened to Mother and talked to him. But I'm glad this situation finally got clear."

"Nevertheless, I understand your feelings. And I'd ignore someone if I thought they treated one of my close people badly."

"Besides, I no longer feel like a half-orphan."

"Hey, what's your opinion about your father? You've spoken to him for two weeks, and I think you got a thought about him."

"He's a great man," Terrence replies confidently with a slight smile and changes the speed with a gearbox. "As wonderful as Mother has always said."

"I believe you didn't feel bored while I was busy."

"Yeah, Father and I met many times. We went to the city along with Edward and spent a great time a couple of times. We found out much about each other, talked about childhood, discussed some funny cases... I had to get a little blushed when Father recalled some things related to my brother and me when we were kids."

"I imagine how happy your mother is."

"Oh, she's literally on top of the world. She's so happy we both started to speak to our father."

"And your father agreed to move into her house."

"It's true. But at first, he refused and said he felt uncomfortable. But I made him sure that I'd materially help Mother and him. Well, Father eventually agreed. He brought his stuff to Mother's house literally the next day."

"So, did he leave Mr. Johnson's apartment?"

"Yes, he left that place. He still says he feels uncomfortable, but did it to be closer to the family. Doesn't wanna be separated from us... But if he gets the company back and proves that Uncle deprived him of the job on purpose, Father will be able to provide for Mother. Although the company reached no success when Uncle Michael ruled it, he didn't bankrupt it, to our surprise."

"Michael was good, at least in something," Raquelle chuckles.

"That's right," Terrence flashes a smile. "I think we all thought he'd bankrupt it because nobody taught him what he should've known."

"Gosh, he came there at least once per week. The company staff was doing their work and literally ruling it. Without them, it would've been in bad condition."

"You're right." Terrence changes the speed with a gearbox. "But Father got the proof of faking the documents and is going to fight for the right to become the full owner."

"Great," Raquelle smiles slightly. "I'm glad he wants to fight."

"I'm sure Father would make the wish of Grandfather Manuel come true."

"Manuel? Your grandfather's name was Manuel?"

"Yup. Manuel MacClife. And my grandmother was Margaret MacClife. I rarely spoke to her in very early childhood, but didn't meet Grandfather. I know him only thanks to the photos that Mother showed me."