I Hate Alabama - Conner Smith

"(Y/N)?"

You look up with a tear tracked face and sniffle quietly. "Oh hey." You reply when you see your roommate standing in front of you, rolling your lips in your mouth to keep more tears in but the look on her face has you breaking down again.

"Hey, what happened?" She asks as he sits next to you on the front porch step, her arm around your shoulders.

You sniffle and shake your head. "We got into a fight and broke up."

She sighs as she pulls you closer. "I'm sorry."

"Just as well," You say as you stand. "After graduation, we're leaving, right?"

"Yes ma'am." She says, clasping her hands together,

You take a deep breath as you run your hand over your hair. "C'mon, lets get drunk."

+++

As you and your best friend walk into a bar in downtown Nashville on your incredibly spontaneous trip after graduation, you hear an all to familiar voice.

"This next song I wrote about a girl." He clears his throat. "This is for all y'all Roll Tide fans; It's called I Hate Alabama."

Your head snaps up and your face drops. You look at your best friend who has the same look on her face.

You get to your feet and start to leave but its crowded tonight.

You get to the door as his set is wrapping up. You hope to leave before he can see you but he's quick to hop off the stage and stop you. "(Y/N)- (Y/N), wait!"

You ignore him but he catches up to you on the busy sidewalk. "What the hell, Conner?"

"I- I- (Y/N)-"

"You broke up with me, Conner." You spit, tears in your chest. "Why are you making it sound like I'm the bad guy?" He stands speechless for a few seconds before you pull your hand away from his and start walking away.

"(Y/N), just let me explain."

"What's there to explain?" You ask, every memory coming to the front of your mind as you look at your ex boyfriend for the first time since you broke up. He lets you walk away, his chest hurting at the sight of losing you again.

He never should've broken up with you in the first place. The guy he thought you were flirting with told him the truth; you were asking if he saw Conner around because you two got split up at the frat party. Conner was several beers deep at that point and immediately assumed the worst.

"(Y/N)!"

You catch up with your best friend and the two of you are making your way back to your hotel room.