Chapter 7 -Ellie

I stand in the empty conference room reviewing my notes; my hands shake. I swallow the lumps forming in my throat.

 'You can do this, El; you are smart, capable, and know what you're talking about.' 

"I'm sure you do." A deep chuckle startles me, and I turn to find a very handsome Frankie Kincaid smiling at me. My face turns beet red with embarrassment. I want to crawl under the table and hide, but I straighten my back and my shoulders high. 

"Mr Kincaid, I apologise. I didn't realise you were standing there." Frankie grins wider, and I can see why the women seem to love him; his energy is light, and his face is dreamy.

"No need to apologise; I was enjoying the pep talk very much," He says as he winks. Ahh, he's a flirt too. Women don't stand a chance.

"You must be Ellie?" He says as he extends his hand. I nod. 

"It's a pleasure to meet you," I say as I return the handshake. His hand lingers with mine for a few seconds longer than necessary, and I break the contact as I pull away and grab my papers.

"Frankie." Flynn's deep voice fills the room. His face shows annoyance, and I wonder what might have pissed him off.

"Flynn, how have you been? Long time man." Frankie's smile is genuine, whereas Flynn's face is stone; the irony of his last name isn't lost on me. If looks could kill, someone would be dead right now.

"I've been fine," Flynn replies, taking a seat at the head of the conference table.Frankie chuckles and nudges me with his side. 

"He's a talker, isn't he, El? Couldn't get him to stop talking in College." Frankie rolls his eyes in jest. I don't miss the way he called me El or the way he stood closer to me. It's not intimidating or creepy. It's just genuinely sweet. I smile at him but don't comment. When I look at Flynn, his jaw is set hard. Okay - let's get this show on the road.

"Where is Kenneth?" Flynn asks. Kenneth is Frankie's manager. One of the best, or so I've read. "He isn't gonna make it today, man; his wife broke her leg, and he had to take her to the hospital last night, but I told him I'd fill him in, and we will make a decision together," Frankie replies as he pops a chocolate cupcake I laid out beforehand in his mouth.

Flynn nods, but his demeanour is still tight.

"Okay, Ellie, off you go." He says, and I swallow hard once again. Nodding, I start my pitch. Frankie's eyes stayed on me the entire time. He nods and smiles. I don't miss the way he smirks when I talk about steamy books. It felt like five seconds and five years wrapped into one by the time I finished. 

Two men continue to stare at me, one face unreadable - dark, while the other is unguarded, happy.

"I love it," Frankie says, and shock runs through me.

"Really?" I say before I can stop myself.

"Really! Who wouldn't want to be a sexy cover boy?" Frankie says with a wink.

"I'm sure you want to discuss this with Kenneth," Flynn interjects. 

Frankie nods. " Yeah, I'll call him and let him know, but I'm really into this idea, El, so I think it's a go." I smile so wide I feel my face will permanently stay this way.

"Alright, well, we will draft something and send it your way by this afternoon, Frankie," Flynn says.

"No worries, man." Frankie nods and stands, grabbing one more cupcake.

"Thanks so much, El; it was a pleasure to meet you," Frankie says as he hugs me. It surprises me, but I regain my composure, hugging him in return and then pull away.

Frankie's gaze lingers on me for a few more seconds, then he nods and exits.

I feel so happy, accomplished even. But when I look at Flynn, he seems to be anything but happy.