Chapter 18 - Ellie & Flynn

Ellie

You look beautiful. I repeat those three words over and over in my head.

I'm sitting at a table at one of the most stunning restaurants overlooking the beach in California.

I've never been to California before, and excitement runs through me. But nerves and anger still hum low in my belly.

Three men sit in front of me. Frankie Kincaid - Pro Hockey Player and our new client, Kenneth Kane, his manager and Flynn...

They are all handsome in their own right, yet the only one that makes my heart race is my boss, but my heart also breaks at the sight of his face. So I don't look at him. I focus my attention on Frankie.

There's chatter around me, the conversation flowing as much as possible.

I nod and smile, but Flynn's dark stares distract me.

His demeanour's as sour as ever.

Stop looking at him, Ellie, I chastise.

Frankie places a hand against mine, which lies on the table. It's an innocent touch; at least that's what I'm telling myself.

"You okay, Ellie? You seem distracted." Frankie muses.

His blue eyes search mine, a crease forming on his forehead.

He's handsome, sweet even, and if I weren't utterly in love with Flynn, I might warm to his touch, but I don't.

"I'm fine, sorry- just a little tired. I apologise."

Frankie rubs his thumb against my fingers, and my brows pull together. Okay, maybe it's not so innocent on his end.

"Nothing to be sorry about, El." His smile is mischievous yet sweet as he uses my nickname.

It doesn't do anything to my heart or body. I'm about to remove my hand when my phone beeps inside my bag.

"Sorry," I say as I move to check it, but he still keeps his hand against my free one. Every thought in my brain is wiped away as Flynn's name on my screen causes my heart to race.

Tell him to take his fucking hands off you if he wants to keep them attached to his body.

A shiver runs through me.

I look up slightly through my eyelashes.

Flynn's knuckles are white as he holds a menu before him. Good, he's angry. Serves him right.

His face is stone. Fitting.

I reply - Why do you care what Frankie's hands are doing to me?

He exhaled a hard breath through his nose, and his nostrils flair. You wouldn't notice it. It's so subtle, but I do. I see every detail in this man—every minuscule movement.

I remove my hand from under Frankie's touch on instinct and then flinch internally.

He doesn't deserve to touch you.

That hits harder than it needs to. I want to tell him that he doesn't deserve to touch me either, but I don't.

Funny, I didn't think you cared; what if I want to be touched by him? I reply, not meaning it - Just wanting to push him like he's pushed me.

I swear I hear him release a growl as he stands.

"Gentlemen, it's been a pleasure. Unfortunately, we have to cut this short. There's been an unforeseen emergency. Kenneth, let's meet in the morning to discuss this. Dinner is on me tonight; order anything you want."