Chapter 22 - Ellie

Flynn holds my hand and kisses my knuckles as we walk into Ampersand.

The bar is packed, and I scan the room to find Ava, which takes about 10 seconds because she's seated at the bar with men flocking her like she's giving out Super Bowl tickets. Don't get me wrong, though. Ava is drop-dead gorgeous, so this behaviour isn't anything new.

She spots me over the masses, trying to get her attention and hops off her seat. Much to the dismay of the men around her.

"Oh, finally, you're here!" She says as she sways just a little bit.

"Bossman." She salutes Flynn

"Av's, are you drunk?" I loop my arm in hers as Flynn's hand caresses my back, ushering me to a booth in the corner.

"No. Well, maybe.. just a little. I've had a shitty week, and I just needed a drink. Or maybe 6." She shrugs and bites her lip as we sit.

"Sunshine, I'm gonna get us some drinks and water for the lightweight." He kisses my cheek and smirks.

"Hey! I'm not a lightweight!" Ava calls out, but Flynn's already walked off, and honestly, he wouldn't care even if he did hear her.

"Okay, Av's tell me what's been happening." I look her in the eyes only to see she's not looking at me.

"It's a long story, but I need to find a new company to work for." She shrugs like she doesn't care, but I see how her face falls.

"What do you mean? What happened?" I grab her hand.

"I don't want to talk about it." She looks anywhere but at me.

"Ava Mackenzie, if you don't tell me right now, I swear-" That earns me a groan.

"Fine. Fine, but did you have to go all full name on me?" I raise my brow and wait.

"So last week at my end-of-year party, my manager hit on me. I told him I wasn't interested, and he insinuated that the only way I would move up at the company was if I moved down on him. If you get my drift."

The shock and rage of what she's just said take over my body. What in the actual hell? But I don't get to say anything because a voice behind me takes our attention.

"What the fuck did you just say." Frankie stands with his hands in fists, and every muscle in his face pinched together in frustration.

"Kincaid." Ava drawls in an annoyed tone.

"I didn't know it was dumbass hour; I thought it was happy hour." Her face was sour. But Frankie doesn't bat an eye.

"Ava!" I chastise.

"What are you doing here?" I ask, turning to Frankie, but he's not paying attention. His entire focus is solely on my best friend as he answers.

"My flight arrived an hour ago, and I thought I'd have a drink." His voice is clipped. This is the first time I've heard him speak like this. He continues to stare at Ava while she glares at him, and I feel like I'm missing something.

As though Flynn could read my thoughts from across the room, he walks back, uttering the words I was thinking.

"What did I miss?" Flynn says as he holds our drinks and some wings.

"Kincaid." He nods in greeting.

"Hey, man," Frankie says, but his eyes haven't wavered from Ava in the slightest.

"I think I need another drink," Ava says as she gets up.

"Ava, why don't we talk a little bit more?" I say, trying to stop her.