Chapter 9 - Ellie

My mouth tastes like cotton.

I shouldn't have drunk so much last night; I don't know what had come over me. Actually, I do. Flynn Stone. How did he manage to uplift me and destroy me at the same time?

He could be cold and callous, but then he flips a switch and becomes gentle.

I know he's softer on me than most. I see the way people look at us when I call him Flynn. It hasn't missed my attention that he only allows me to say it.

I rub my head as my migraine takes over.

"There she is; you alive ?" Ava asks

She has been my friend since I was fifteen and has come to see me from California while she visits her mum and dad for the weekend. I honestly don't know what I would do without her; where she's no-nonsense, sassy and impulsive, I'm calmer and an overthinker. I love that we balance the other one out.

"Im alive.. barely" I put a pillow over my pounding head.

"You were pretty funny last night; I gotta say - I have never heard you talk about a guy like you did boss man Flynn. He must be smokin'." Ava winks, and I groan.

I don't know what I told her, but clearly, it was too much.

"Please tell me I didn't embarrass myself last night, Av's." I plead as she removes the pillow from my face and sits beside me on my bed.

"Nearly, but I stopped you just in time." She pats my head.

"What do you mean you stopped me?" I sit up now, concern etching into my stomach.

"You were about to message your hot boss, pretty much telling him how you wanted to lick him like an ice cream or something along those lines, I can't remember everything, but I put you to bed before you did any damage."

I groan again.

"Thank you, I need this job, and if Flynn knew what I was thinking about him, I can guarantee I wouldn't be working there anymore. He barely tolerates me as it is."

"No big deal, girl. Do you want some breakfast? I made eggs and coffee."

I nod eagerly but stop myself; my brain feels like it will come out of my skull.

Ava leaves me to get cleaned up, and I grab my phone; I should probably delete whatever I was going to send to Flynn.

I check my texts but don't see anything, so I go to my emails.

No! No, no, no, no!

Flynn Stone

why do you have to be so beautiful? it's seriously not fair that you look like that

I keep reading, and my heart starts pounding. I want to crawl into a hole and bury myself alive.

I begin to feel a panic attack climbing through my body. My hands are shaking, and my breath is coming in short. How, why? What am I going to do? How am I supposed to go to work on Monday and face him?

I keep trying to breathe through my mouth, but I don't have any more air. My lungs feel like they're going to explode.

As tears start welling, I hear a voice on the other side of my door.

"Ellie, it's Flynn. Can I come in?"

Fuckity fuck.