Chapter 15 - Ellie

The next few weeks are a blur. I told Tina I wouldn't be in, she didn't push for information, and I was grateful.
Out of everyone, she saw through me, through the facade we painted, as though I was just his assistant. Tina was observant, and a part of me knew that she saw I was in love with him, but she never said a word, not to me or anyone else, and I appreciated it.

When the cab dropped me at my door after I left the hospital, I found Ava waiting with her arms wide open, and I crumpled into them. It had honestly slipped my mind that she was returning to town tonight for a few days and after all the chaos; my phone died hours ago. 

I remember wondering how long she had sat inside waiting for me. We spent two good days laying in my bed eating ice cream, and I cried into her shoulder more than I wanted to think about. I told her everything that happened and stopped her from wanting to murder him. As much as at that moment I hated him, I still loved him.

"That fucking bastard better never come across me; otherwise, I'll fucking castrate him." She huffed.

"Ava. it's okay.." I wipe my tears.

"No." She hugs me tighter.

"Ellie, don't defend him. He's a heartless bastard." I nod. She's right. He pulled me in and in that hospital when I couldn't bear to be apart from him and prayed that he would be okay; he pushed me away and told me that it was done. Like I meant nothing to him. Maybe I didn't.

"How did you know what happened?" I ask.

"I got to the bar to meet you, and I saw a bunch of people talking about Flynn and the ambulance, and when I told them who I was, some guy called Frankie said he could drive me to see you. I told him I didn't get in cars with strangers. The cocky asshole replied something smart. He annoyed me right off the bat; if I weren't so stressed about you, I would have punched him. But god, he was hot." She stares blankly as she bites her lip.

"Anyway, I left and took a cab to your apartment and waited until you returned."

"Frankie... Ava Frankie is the hockey player that I told you about.." Her eyes go wide.

"Shut the fuck up. No, he's not." 

I nod, and a small smile forms on my lips. It feels nice to smile.

"Ahh. No wonder why he irritated me." She grumbles and scoops a spoonful of cookie dough ice cream into her mouth as she slumps her back against the headboard. "Men suck." She states.

"Agreed," I reply as tears spill from my eyes.

"It'll be okay, Ellie belly, I promise," Ava says as she squeezes my hand. I squeeze back and cuddle into the blanket. Hoping that she's right.

Now three and a half weeks later, I'm sitting on an aeroplane and flying to California. Tina called me two days ago and begged me to go. She said That Flynn still hadn't been back in the office and needed someone to attend the meeting with Frankie and Kenneth. And because I was the one who knew the campaign the best and because I was Flynn's assistant that it should be me.

The mention of Flynn's name had made my stomach plummet, and the thoughts of why he hadn't returned started to stir in my brain. The worry knotted in my belly. The pilot announced that his descent was beginning, and every butterfly flew in my body, and my hands started to shake, a roll of nausea coming over me.

But nothing made that feeling worse than when I entered my hotel room an hour later.