Belgium, August 26th 2022

Whispers filled the track after Sebastian Vettel announced his retirement. The grid was in shambles and Lando announced his arrival with,

"Silly season looks to be starting early. Ah! You decided to stay!" Lando smiled seeing me taking off the orange headset.

"You seem chipper for 13th"

"Eva you wound me." He clutched his chest dramatically. "And, I just finished third in FP2! So...get your facts straight."

"Eva, did you see my time?" Daniel came in, face bright with a top ten finish.

"I did Danny! Keep it up, yeah?" Both drivers grinned as they were pulled away for a quick debriefing.

"So this morning..." Lando suddenly appeared at my side.

"I'm fine, I promise." I really don't think it was that bad."

"You froze," Lando added.

"Like a deer in headlights,"

"It's funny Dingo, I don't remember asking you"

"You say that like it's an insult." Daniel left laughing.

"So you're getting lunch with Lewis?" Lando and I started walking outside.

"Yeah, he wants to talk about my break,"

"Well now...how's that going to go?" He nudged me.

"It will be fine. He'll probably end up getting pulled away by Bono or something so it won't last too long."

"Just don't let anything slip about-"

"Gige?" Lando and I stood still. Just that one word acted like a key to the back door of my mind. The dam was so full of memories, good and bad that just his voice threatened to split the floodgates right down the middle.

"Speak of the devil," Lando whispered.

"Alright Lan I'll see you later?"

"I'm not going to leave you alone with him,"

"I'm standing right here Norris."

That damn voice.

"Lando," I grabbed his forearm, "go, I can handle a conversation."

"Fine..." my friend turned slowly. "Gasly," Lando left with a saccharine smile.

"Norris," Pierre returned the favor. I told Lando I could handle this but he would have laughed at how quickly I turned to avoid any contact with the AlphaTauri driver. "Gige!" He called after me

"Wow! Pepe Le Pew, how lovely to see you!" Daniel swooped out of nowhere linking arms with Gasly.

"Daniel right now is not the best time," I heard the Australian trying to keep Pierre in the conversation.

I was halfway there just had to-

"Evangeline Hamilton!" The conviction in his voice managed to stop me in my tracks, but I would not turn around. The chaos in the paddock caused me to hope I could maybe lose him in the crowd. Finally shaking off the effect hearing him had on me, I began walking again. Catching sight of the Mercedes garage, I dodged through mechanics and tried to smile.

Smile. Laugh. Repeat.

I searched for my brother or someone who could save me right now.

"Woah Eva, why are you moving so fast?" I looked up to find George with a concerned look on his face.

"George! I...I was just worried about being late for lunch."

"Well Lewis hasn't even finished his debrief yet so you still have like five minutes. I was gonna go grab coffee if you wanted to come!"