The Netherlands, September 4th 2022

I don't know if it was the orange smoke that rose with another Verstappen victory or watching the win slip from Lewis's fingers that was more upsetting. I had almost decided to stay and watch the race with May before she left but it was her request that I be photographed entering the paddock with George and Lewis. They had both congratulated me on the successful performance in Amsterdam and talked about watching a video. Lando, Charles and Daniel found me on Friday as well to share their excitement. The band had made some amazing comments about me which allowed that cloud nine feeling to stick around all weekend...until the cloud turned orange. Watching George and Charles up on the podium brought a little joy to my heart and as the Mercedes driver hoisted the trophy above his head, my smile was entirely genuine.

"Please tell me you're coming to the party tonight." Lando was suddenly at my side as we exited the paddock.

"I don't know Lan, I don't really have a reason to be there! I was just planning on sitting in the hotel watching some shows in Italian to try and prep."

"You're coming. I even convinced George to come and it wouldn't be smart for him to show up without his 'girlfriend'" His brows rose awaiting my answer. Letting out an exasperated sigh,

"Fine! But you better not leave my side okay." Suddenly I was in the air spinning as Lando yelled,

"I got her boys!" Hoots and hollers came from the car with Daniel, Charles and Carlos.

"I'm going to regret this, aren't I?"

"Maybe...but it will at least be fun." Lando spoke as I pulled the door open, entering a flurry of conversation between the three drivers already inside. May called once I was back in my room, launching into praise about the performance and different magazine articles that were already published.

"I think it's good that you're going tonight. Get the appearances up and keep your name at the top." Her pride helped ease the stress of what would come with tonight. I wanted nothing more than to tell May what had happened over the summer break. At least it would help explain some of my hesitation, but she wouldn't have been able to separate the friend from manager duties. We talked a bit more about needing to show up with George for the party. Most cameras were kept out of the drivers' events like this, so if I wanted to, we could split up inside. "So, I got some unexpected mail today."

"Oh really, what was it May?" I grinned hoping it was what I had in mind.

"A few tapes...three songs actually. A very nice present for your starving manager."

"C'mon now, you know how hard it is for me to actually write that? I recorded them after my session on Tuesday. If you or the team have some suggestions, I would be more than happy to listen to them, just let me know."

"Alright darling, there was one thing that stood out on the first listen. The guitar on one of the tracks that sounded a bit muffled, did you play that live? We can try to sharpen the audio."

Boat.

Sun.

Waves lapping against the stern,

A French driver who could play the guitar.

"It was a recording from back...home, just a tune I had stuck in my head, but I played it from my phone."

"Okay, it was good...really good! We can try to enhance the recording and that'll be it. Try to have fun tonight, you deserve to have some with your friends." I smiled and wished with all I could that she was right.

"I will try, cheers May." After the line went silent, I sat on the bed with my head in my hands. Tonight was going to be hard. Surrounded by the lifestyle I have been working to leave behind.