Chapter 15

Lucy POV

“Oh, my love.” Liam said as he pulled me from Noah’s arms.

He wrapped me up in a tight hug and picked me up.

“What’s wrong, love?” Liam asked as he kissed the top of my head. “Are you sick?”

My stomach twisted again, and I pressed myself closer to my brother. I needed him so much. I needed to talk to him. I wanted to talk to him. I wanted to tell him about the notes.

But…

Ezra…

“Love?” Liam called me worriedly when I didn’t respond.

“I’m not sick.” I mumbled quietly. “I just think I ate something weird.”

“Okay.” Liam said as he sat down on the couch. “Nate will be here in a few minutes.”

I bit my lip and took a deep breath.

“You shouldn’t have called him.” I said. “I’m okay.”

“He is coming, and he is going to examine you.” Theo said sternly as he placed a hand on my forehead. “I don’t think that you have a fever.”

“I told you that I’m not sick.” I said as I looked up at him.

Theo frowned at me.

“Where is Ezra?” Noah asked as he sat down next to Liam and me.

“He and Sienna went on a date.” Liam said. “We should call him. He will want to be here.”

I sat up abruptly.

“No.” I said. “Don’t disturb him. Let him enjoy his date.”

Liam narrowed her eyes at me and studied my face for a second.

My heart was beating a mile a minute.

I didn’t want him to call Ezra. I didn’t want to disturb him. He needed time away from me. He needed peace. I would disturb his peace.

But the way Liam was looking at me made me shiver. Could he tell that something was wrong? Maybe my reaction was a bit much. Maybe he could tell that something was wrong just by my quick response when he mentioned that we needed to call Ezra.

I couldn’t let them know. Liam would tell Ezra that I knew about his struggles, and Ezra would tell me that I didn’t need to worry. He would try to convince me that I mattered more.

I didn’t. I was okay. I would be okay. Ezra mattered more right now. My brothers always mattered more to me than anyone or anything else. Including me.

Did the rest of my brothers struggle like Ezra? Did Liam struggle? Was I too much to deal with? He was practically already a dad to Theo and Noah. Was it too much for him to take care of me as well?

Oh, God, what if I was?

What if…

I clenched my fists and tried to take a deep breath. The lump in my throat made it impossible. I felt like something was sitting on my chest.

I couldn’t breathe.

“You matter more to Ezra than Sienna or this date.” Liam said. “You know that, right?”

My body froze.

I had to do something. I had to say something.

“Of course.” I managed to say. “I just don’t want him to worry over nothing. Let him enjoy his date.”

“Worry over nothing?” Liam repeated my words, raising his eyebrows. “Lucy, this is not nothing! You are not nothing!”

Shit.

I screwed up. I screwed up big time.

I stared at Liam, unable to speak. I should have said something, but I didn’t know what.

I glanced at Theo and Noah. Both of them were staring at me with furrowed eyebrows.

“I like Sienna.” I blurted out the first thing that came to my mind. “I want them to spend some time together.”

Liam opened his mouth to speak, but he was interrupted by the doorbell.

Relief washed over me.

Theo walked to the front door and opened it.

“Where is she?” I heard Nate’s worried voice.

Theo stepped aside and pointed to the living room. Nate walked inside and hurried toward me. He had a small smile on his face.

“Hey, kid.” Nate said softly. “What’s wrong?”

Liam lifted me and placed me next to him.

“I threw up at school.” I said. “I think I ate something weird.”

Nate kneeled in front of me and placed a hand on my forehead.

“I don’t think that you have a fever, but let’s check just to be sure.” he said as he took out a thermometer from his bag.

“Did you have any other symptoms, Lucy?” Nate asked as he put the thermometer in my ear.

“No.” I said.

“She is on her period.” Noah said, placing his hand on my back.

Nate took the thermometer out of my ear and checked it.

“You don’t have a fever.” he said, placing the thermometer back in his bag.

“She is on her period.” Theo repeated Noah’s words.

“I heard.” Nate said, looking up at Theo and giving him a small smile.

Nate looked back at me and furrowed his eyebrows.

“Is the period pain worse than before?” he asked me.

I shook my head.

I didn’t want to talk about that. I was afraid that it would be too weird for my brothers.

“Were you nauseous before you threw up?” Nate asked.

“Yes.” I said. “For about a day or two.”

Nate nodded and looked at Liam.

“I don’t think there is anything wrong.” Nate said. “Periods can sometimes cause nausea. She probably did eat something that made her throw up.”

Liam wrapped an arm around my waist and pulled me closer to him. He kissed my temple, and I leaned into him.

“I will need you to call me if you throw up again, Lucy.” Nate continued. “We will do additional tests if it happens again.”

“Why not do them now and be sure that nothing is really wrong?” Theo asked as he ran his fingers through my hair.

“There is no need to take her to the hospital, Theo.” Nate answered. “If it continues, we will do everything to find out what’s wrong.”

I smiled at Nate.

It wouldn’t continue. Nothing was wrong. I threw up because I was terrified, not because I was sick.

“I recommend only light food for a day or two, okay?” Nate said as he caressed my cheek. “Soups, toast, and tea. Don’t upset your stomach too much.”

That was perfect. I couldn’t eat anyway.

I nodded and leaned my head on Liam’s shoulder.

I was so tired.

“Theo, Noah, take Lucy to her bedroom.” Liam said as he kissed my forehead. “I think that she needs sleep.”

I looked up at him and nodded.

Liam smiled and kissed my cheek.

“Go rest, love.” Liam said softly. “I will wake you up in time for dinner.”

Noah took my hand in his and pulled me up.

I followed my brothers to my bedroom. Noah’s hold on my hand was tight, and Theo never moved his hand from my back. I was glad, though. I needed them right now, even though I couldn’t tell them that.

We entered my bedroom, and Theo immediately walked to my closet.

“Go change.” Theo said as he handed me a hoodie and a pair of sweats. “You will lay down and sleep.”

I nodded, took the clothes out of his hands, and walked to my bedroom.

I closed the door behind me, leaned on the wall, and took a deep breath.

Jack and Brian were back. They were back, and they were after me.

I knew that I needed to tell my brothers, but Ezra’s condition would only worsen.

Maybe I could tell Liam and ask him to keep it from Ezra? Liam had to know about Ezra’s condition. Maybe he would also think that we shouldn’t tell Ezra.

But what if Liam wasn’t okay as well? What if he was feeling just like Ezra? Sienna hadn’t said anything about Liam, but it was possible.

Would I hurt them if I told them? Would they suffer even more because of me?

Another wave of nausea hit me, but I had nothing to throw up anymore.

“Lucy?” Noah called me and knocked on the door.

I flinched and started to take my clothes off.

“Coming.” I said as I pulled the hoodie over my head.

I put my sweats on and opened the bathroom door.

Both Theo and Noah were laying in my bed.

Theo patted the spot between them, and I gave him a small smile.

I approached the bed and climbed in.

“Sleep.” Noah said as he pulled the covers over me. “We will be here if you feel sick again.”

I nodded and laid my head on Theo’s shoulder. He kissed my forehead, and caressed my cheek.

I reached behind me and took Noah’s hand in mine. He squeezed my hand tightly.

I was so tired that it didn’t take me long to fall asleep.

I just hoped that I wouldn’t have any nightmares.