Chapter 31

Riley POV

“I think that Theo and Noah noticed that Ethan likes Lucy.” Aiden said as we sat down at our table in the cafeteria.

“It took them long enough.” I said, rolling my eyes. “I’m just surprised that they didn’t bite his head off already. I was sure that we wouldn’t have a sibling once they figured it out.”

Aiden snorted and looked down at his plate.

“Maybe they are okay with it.” Aiden shrugged, moving the food around with his fork.

I furrowed my eyebrows. Was he going to eat his lunch? He barely ate lunch yesterday.

I was so worried about him. He was constantly scared and tense. I did what I could to help him, but it wasn’t enough.

I wished that he would just go talk to somebody. I wished that he would understand that worrying this much wasn’t healthy for him.

“Eat, Aiden.” I said, picking up my fork. “And I’m sure that Theo and Noah aren’t okay with anyone liking Lucy.”

Aiden looked up at me and sighed.

“Probably not.” he mumbled.

He furrowed his eyebrows and bit his lip.

“What’s wrong?” I asked, reaching over the table and taking his hand in mine.

“How do they do it?” Aiden mumbled.

I furrowed my eyebrows, trying to understand his question.

“How do Theo and Noah stay sane with everything that is going on?” Aiden continued. “I just think about something happening to you, and I can’t fucking eat. How do they do it? How do they go on?”

My heart broke.

I stood up and walked around the table. I sat down next to Aiden and took his hands in mine.

The broken look in his eyes made me want to scream.

“I am okay, Aiden.” I said softly. “Nothing will happen to me. I am safe. I have you. I have Ethan. I have our parents. I am safe.”

Aiden gulped and tightened his jaw.

“I will get hurt if you get hurt.” I continued. “So I need you to be healthy and safe. I need you to eat. I need you to breathe. I need you to stop worrying so much because you won’t be okay if you continue like this.”

“I just...” Aiden spoke, but I interrupted him.

“I know Aiden.” I said as I caressed his cheek. “I would die if something happened to you. I know how you feel. But I feel so scared seeing you like this. I can’t lose you, Aiden. You need to be okay.”

By the time I finished talking, I was out of breath and so close to bursting into tears.

Aiden pulled me into a hug.

“I know.” he mumbled. “I am sorry. I am so sorry.”

“You don’t have to apologize.” I said, trying to stop my voice from shaking. “I know why you worry so much. I just don’t want you to get hurt. I can’t let you get hurt.”

Aiden kissed my temple and tightened his arms around me.

“I won’t get hurt, Riles.” he said. “I promise.”

I nodded and let him go.

Aiden cupped my cheeks and looked into my eyes.

“I love you.” he said quietly.