Chapter 43

Ethan POV

I kept looking at my sister.

I didn’t want to move my eyes away from her. I was so fucking scared that she would disappear again.

I ran my fingers through her hair and placed another kiss on her forehead.

Aiden laid down next to her, and he refused to move an inch. He wrapped her in his arms, and I had to warn him a few times because he was holding her too tightly.

“Where are mom and dad?” Riley mumbled.

“They will be here soon, cutie.” I said softly. “They are on their way.”

Riley nodded and gave me a small smile.

“God, I was so fucking scared.” I mumbled, taking a deep breath.

“I’m sorry.” Riley said. “I should have fought him harder. I should have…”

“Stop.” I interrupted her. “Nothing that happened was your fault, okay?”

Aiden kissed the top of her head.

“Do you understand me, Riley?” I asked. “It wasn’t your fault.”

She studied my face for a second, and I could tell that she didn’t agree with me.

Well, too fucking bad. I wasn’t going to let her think that any of that was her fault.

I was just about to say something else to her when Nate walked back inside the room.

The smile on his face turned into a frown when he saw Aiden on the bed.

I told him that he shouldn’t lay down next to her.

“Don’t even start, Nate.” Aiden told him. “I didn’t mess up any wires. I’m being careful. I am not leaving the bed.”

Nate sighed and looked at Riley.

“Are you okay with it, kid?” he asked her. “Should I throw him out?”

If looks could kill, Aiden would definitely be responsible for Nate’s murder.

“I’m okay.” Riley said softly. “I want him here.”

“Okay.” Nate nodded and pulled up a chair.

He sat down next to Riley’s bed and smiled at her.

“Today is Friday, Riley.” he said. “You’ve only been with him for a few hours.”

Riley’s eyes widened, and she looked at me for confirmation.

Warmth spread all around my body. She always used to do that when she was a kid. If mom and dad weren’t around, she would look to me for confirmation and assurance.

I nodded and took her hand in mine.

“It seemed longer.” Riley mumbled, looking back at Nate.

“I know.” Nate said softly.

“Is Lucy okay?” Riley asked, her voice trembling. “He didn’t hurt her, did he? He didn’t hurt anyone else?”

“Lucy is okay.” Nate said. “She is in the waiting room with the rest of her family.”

Riley’s eyes fell on the door.

“They can visit you a little later.” Nate told her.

Riley nodded and looked back at him.

“Thankfully, you don’t have any major injuries.” Nate said, making me tense up. “There are bruises and cuts on your body. You had a minor concussion due to the hit to your head. Your blood pressure dropped because of the drugs that he gave you, so we will have to monitor it carefully.”

“That’s not major?” Aiden scoffed angrily.

Nate ignored him, keeping his eyes on Riley.

“I need to talk to you about something else, Riley.” Nate said carefully, and I froze. “It’s a delicate subject. Your brothers can leave the room if you want.”

“I am not leaving her.” Aiden argued immediately.

“Aiden…” I said, but he interrupted me.

“I am not leaving, Ethan.” Aiden said, his voice laced with panic.

“It’s not up to you, Aiden.” Nate said sternly. “If Riley doesn’t want to talk about it in front of you, I will have to insist that you leave the room.”

I looked at my sister.

She was staring at Nate wide-eyed.

I squeezed her hand, making her look at me.

“We can leave, cutie.” I said softly.

She squeezed my hand, and I knew what her decision would be even before she spoke.

“I want them to stay.” she said, keeping her eyes on mine.

I gave her a small smile, and leaned in to kiss her cheek.

“I am here, Riley.” I told her quietly. “Nothing bad will happen to you while I am here. I promise.”

Aiden tightened his arms around her and leaned in to whisper something to her. She nodded and looked at Nate.

“Are you sure, Riley?” Nate asked her again.

She nodded and took a deep breath.

“I think you know what I’m about to ask you.” Nate said softly. “We found blood on your thigh when you were brought in. Did he rape you?”

My heart stopped beating.

No, no, no, no. Please no.

“He, um…” Riley mumbled, her voice trembling. “He put his fingers inside me.”

I saw fucking red.

I was going to kill him. I would go to fucking jail. I didn’t give a shit. I was going to kill him.

I didn’t have to look at Aiden to know that he was thinking the same. I could feel the anger coming off of him.

“Anything else, Riley?” Nate asked softly. “Did he use any kind of object on you?”

Riley sobbed quietly.

My urge to kill grew.

“No.” she said, wiping her cheeks. “Just his fingers. He said that he would do more later, but…”

She stopped talking and buried her face in Aiden’s chest.

I placed my hand on the back of her head and leaned my forehead against her cheek.

“It’s okay, cutie.” I said. “He can’t hurt you anymore. I promise.”

It was hard to contain the hatred. You could hear it in my voice.

Aiden was so fucking tense that it felt like I was touching a rock.

“Okay, Riley.” Nate said softly. “I will talk to our gynecologist, and she will do an exam.”

Riley couldn’t answer him. She was sobbing quietly.

I looked up at Nate and gave him a small nod.

“Thank you.” I told him.

“I will leave you alone.” he said as he stood up. “The gynecologist will be here soon.”

I nodded and watched as he walked out of the room.

As soon as the door closed, I turned back to my sister and made her look at me.

“You are the bravest girl I know.” I said, trying to stop my voice from breaking. “You will get through this, Riley. You are not alone. You have me. You have Aiden. You have mom and dad. You have your friends. You have so many amazing people around you who will be with you every step of the way.”

Looking into her tear-filled eyes was breaking my heart.

I wished I could take all of her pain away.

“Ethan is right.” Aiden said as he pressed her to his chest. “You have us. You have me. I will never leave you again. I will never let anyone hurt you again. I am here, Riley. I will help you get through this. You are my other half, and I won’t leave you.”

I didn’t even recognize his voice. It was laced with so much anger and pain that it didn’t even sound like him.

“Thank you.” Riley sobbed, reaching out for me. “I love you both so much.”

I wrapped my brother and my sister in a tight hug.

“We love you too, cutie.” I mumbled, placing a kiss on her temple. “So fucking much.”

I looked up at my brother, placed my hand on the top of his head, and pressed him against my chest.

He needed me too. Both of my siblings needed me, and I would be there for them.

I wouldn’t let anything or anyone hurt them.

Not again.