Chapter 16

Liam POV

Something was wrong.

Or maybe I was overreacting.

But I had a feeling that something was wrong.

When Lucy said not to call Ezra, I heard a hint of panic in her voice. I understood that she wanted to give Ezra some time with his girlfriend, but why was she panicking over it?

Did she think that he would be angry if we called him? That was impossible, and she knew that. She always came first. Her health mattered more than a date that could be rescheduled. Ezra would be pissed off because we didn’t call him, not the other way around.

Did she think that Sienna would be angry for interrupting them? That was more likely. She didn’t know Sienna that well, and she could have thought that Sienna would get angry if we called Ezra and told him to come home.

But Sienna would never be angry about that. Ezra explained to her that Lucy always came first. Sienna knew that, and if she had a problem with it, she would have never started dating my brother.

I sighed and took a sip of my coffee.

I would have to talk to Lucy. I couldn’t let her think that she would anger someone if she informed her brother about a problem she was having. She knew that already, but I guessed that she was struggling with it now that Ezra had a girlfriend. Maybe she thought that Ezra wouldn’t be there for her as much as before? Maybe she thought that Ezra wouldn’t want her to come to him now that he had a girlfriend?

That was all a bunch of crap, really. Ezra loved her more than anything. All of us loved her more than anything. Ezra would always put her first, no matter what.

“What is up, kid?” I heard Dylan’s voice and flinched.

I didn’t even hear him come inside.

I turned around and glared at him.

“Don’t scare me like that.” I mumbled. “And kid?”

“You are younger than me.” Dylan grinned as he took a mug from the cupboard and poured coffee in it.

“By 11 months, jackass.” I grunted.

Dylan turned around and raised an eyebrow at me.

“What’s with the attitude?” he asked as he sat down opposite me. “What crawled up your ass?”

I sighed and ran my fingers through my hair.

“Sorry.” I mumbled. “I’m just worried about Lucy.”

Dylan placed his mug on the table.

“What’s wrong with her?” he asked, panicked.

“She is sick, but that’s not why I’m worried.” I said and his eyes widened.

“Sick?” he asked as he stood up. “What’s wrong? Why aren’t you worried? We have to take her to the hospital. Where is she?”

“She is upstairs, sleeping.” I sighed. “She is okay. I will tell you everything. Just sit down.”

Dylan glanced at the kitchen door. For a second, I thought that he was going to go upstairs, but he listened to me and sat down.

“What’s wrong with her?” he asked, clenching his fists.

“She threw up at school.” I said. “Nate already came and examined her. Nothing is wrong. She just ate something that didn’t sit well.”

Dylan let out a relieved breath. He ran his fingers through his hair and closed his eyes for a second.

“Why are you worried then?” he asked as he picked his mug back up.

I was just about to tell him when I heard footsteps approaching the kitchen quickly.

“Something is wrong.” Theo said as soon as he entered the kitchen.

My heart raced, and I jumped up.

“Where is she?” I asked, panicked.

Was she throwing up again? Was she really sick? What was wrong with my baby?

“Sleeping.” Theo said as he approached me. “Sit down.”

I furrowed my eyebrows. “What?”

“She is okay.” Theo sighed as he sat down next to Dylan, who looked very panicked. “She is sleeping. When I said that something was wrong, I meant with Ezra.”

Oh. He noticed that too.

I sighed and sat down.

“Ezra?” Dylan asked, furrowing his eyebrows. “Is he sick too?”

“No, he is fine.” Theo said, staring at me with an impatient look on his face.

“Can someone explain what is going on?” Dylan sighed.

“Ezra wasn’t here when Lucy came home from school.” I said, looking from my brother to Dylan. “When we said that we needed to call him and tell him that she was sick, she had an interesting reaction.”

“An interesting reaction?” Theo scoffed. “She panicked.”

Dylan’s eyes widened. “Why would she panic over that?”

“She said not to disturb his date.” I mumbled. “She said that she wanted him to spend time with his girlfriend.”

“I don’t want Sienna to come here anymore.” Theo said angrily.

I sighed and looked at my brother.

“We can’t do that, Theo.” I said. “She is important to Ezra.”

“Lucy is more important.” Theo said, clenching his fists.

“She is.” I nodded. “But we can’t do that to Ezra. I will talk to Lucy about it and try to figure out what the real problem is.”

“The problem is that Lucy is too nice.” Dylan said, shaking his head. “She probably thinks that Sienna would get angry at her if you told Ezra to come home.”

“My thoughts exactly.” I nodded, looking at Dylan.

Theo sighed and rolled his eyes.

“I will talk to her.” I said. “I will explain to her that she is and will always be the most important person in our lives. Nobody comes before her, not even Sienna.”

“Sienna wouldn’t come first if she was growing on my ass.” Theo said, rolling his eyes.

Dylan snorted, and I tried to stiffen my laugh.

“That’s not nice, Theo.” I said, trying to remind myself that I was an adult and that I shouldn’t encourage him to talk like that, no matter how funny it was to me.

He wasn’t wrong, though.

“I wasn’t trying to be nice.” Theo said, crossing his arms over his chest.

I tried to think of something to tell him that sounded all grown up, but it was hard. I did find it funny, and I was worried about my baby, so I wasn’t really thinking clearly.

Thankfully, I was saved when I heard the front door open.

“Guys?” Ezra called us.

“Kitchen.” Dylan yelled.

“Don’t mention anything to him until I speak to Lucy.” I said quietly to Theo.

He rolled his eyes but nodded when I gave him a stern look.

“Hey.” Ezra said happily as he walked into the kitchen.

“Hi.” I smiled at him.

Theo mumbled something under his breath.

“What are you doing here, man?” Ezra asked Dylan as he opened the fridge and grabbed a bottle of water.

“Came to annoy your big bro.” Dylan grinned.

“You are always welcome to do that.” Ezra grinned, making me roll my eyes at him.

Ezra laughed and approached the table.

“What’s with the frown, Grumpy?” Ezra asked Theo.

“Lucy is sick.” Theo said.

Ezra’s eyes widened, and he looked at me.

“What?!” he asked, panicked. “What’s wrong? Where is she?”

“She threw up in school and came home a little earlier.” I told him. “Nate checked her out. She is okay. Nate thinks that she just ate something that didn’t sit well.”

Ezra looked at the watch on his left arm.

“Why didn’t you call me?” he asked angrily. “When did she come home?”

“Two hours ago.” I answered.

Ezra’s eyes widened again, and he clenched his fists.

“Why didn’t you call me, Liam?” he asked.

He was angry, just like I knew he was going to be.

“I didn’t want to disturb your date.” I said calmly.

I didn’t want to bring Lucy into this. Not until I talked to her and figured out what was wrong.

“Disturb my date?” Ezra repeated in disbelief. “I don’t give a shit about that. You should have called me.”

I knew that. Lucy didn’t.

“Where is she?” Ezra asked as he placed the bottle on the table.

“She is sleeping in her room.” I said.

Ezra turned around and walked out of the kitchen.

I took a deep breath and closed my eyes.

I needed to talk to Lucy.

As soon as fucking possible.