Chapter 44

Lucy POV

I woke up wrapped up in someone’s arms.
When did I fall asleep?

Where was I?

I lifted my head and looked around.

I was still in the hospital waiting room.

“Good morning, sleepyhead.” Liam said softly as he kissed my cheek.

I looked at him and furrowed my eyebrows.

“You’ve been asleep for a few hours.” he said, chuckling at my confused face. “We are still at the hospital.”

Hospital.

Riley.

“Is Riley okay?” I asked, trying to sit up straight.

My body was stiff from lying in the same position for hours.

“She woke up.” Liam told me. “Her parents are here.”

I nodded and looked around.

Theo and Noah were asleep. Noah was leaning on the wall, and Theo leaned his head on Noah’s shoulder.

I didn’t see the rest of my family.

“They went to get something to eat.” Liam told me. “Theo and Noah refused to leave you. Well, physically, obviously. Mentally, they are in dreamland.”

I chuckled, leaning my head back on Liam’s chest.

He kissed the top of my head, and rubbed my back gently.

“Why didn’t you go eat?” I asked my brother.

“Well, you were asleep.” he said, making me look up at him.

“You could have woken me up.” I said, frowning. “You must be hungry.”

“No way.” he said, shaking his head. “You needed sleep. I saw how tired you were.

He gave me a small smile and caressed my cheek.

“Besides, they will bring us food when they come back.” Liam continued.

His smile disappeared, and he took a deep breath.

My heart stopped.

“What happened?” I asked him.

“Peter was here when you were asleep, love.” he said, making my heart race.

“What did he say?” I asked quietly, feeling the fear spread through my body.

“The guy who took Riley had help.” Liam said, tightening his arms around me. “They don’t know who it was, but they are sure that he wasn’t working alone.”

My heart was racing. So Riley was still in danger?

I looked toward Riley’s room.

“Is the police watching her?” I asked, looking back at Liam. “They can’t let them come back for her.”

Liam gulped and caressed my cheek.

“They don’t want Riley, love.” he said, tightening his jaw. “They want you.”

I took a deep breath and let it out slowly.

“At least she is safe.” I mumbled, looking back toward Riley’s room.

Liam cupped my cheeks and made me look back at him.

“You are safe too, my baby.” he said softly. “I won’t let anyone hurt you. Not again.”

“I know.” I said, giving him a small smile.

He caressed my cheeks and kissed my forehead.

I leaned my head back on his chest, and he wrapped me up in a hug.

“Oh, my baby.” he mumbled. “I love you so much.”

“I love you too, Liam.” I said as a small smile spread across my face.

“Lucy?” I heard Theo’s sleepy voice.

I lifted my head and looked at him.

“You are awake.” he mumbled as he stood up and came to sit next to Liam and me.

He reached for me, and Liam lifted me up and placed me on Theo’s lap. Theo wrapped me up in a hug.

“Did you sleep well?” he asked me.

“I did.” I said, looking up at him and giving him a small smile. “How about you?”

“Noah’s shoulder isn’t that comfortable.” Theo said, making me chuckle.

“Feel free to lean on the wall next time.” Noah mumbled, making us look at him.

“Your shoulder is still better than the wall.” Theo said.

Noah rolled his eyes at Theo and smiled at me.

“Did you tell her what Peter said?” Theo asked Liam.

“I did.” Liam said, running his fingers through my hair.

Theo looked at me sternly.

“You will never be alone from now on.” he said. “Do you understand me? Not a single second. I will be with you all the time from now on.”

“Same here.” Noah added, making me look at him. “Until that fucker is caught, you can only go to the bathroom alone.”

“After we’ve checked it.” Theo added.

I looked back at him, and an uneasy feeling washed over me. I didn’t want them to worry so much again.

“Understood, Lucy?” Theo asked, raising an eyebrow at me.

“Yes.” I said and nodded. “But you shouldn’t worry so much. I am safe with you. I am safe at home.”

“It’s like you don’t even know us.” Liam said, chuckling a little. “We would worry if you were glued to one of us all the time.”

I chuckled and shook my head.

“Liam is right.” Noah said. “We will always worry about you, Lucy.”

I looked at Noah and took a deep breath.

He wanted to say something else, but he was interrupted when Ethan walked into the waiting room. He looked exhausted.

My heart clenched painfully. I wanted to hug him.

Noah stood up abruptly.

“How is she?” Noah asked, walking toward Ethan.

“A little bit better.” Ethan said, taking a deep breath. “Mom and dad are here so it’s easier.”

“How are you?” Theo asked, making Ethan look at him.

“So fucking angry.” Ethan mumbled. “I want to burn the fucking world down.”

Ethan ran his fingers through his hair and looked at me.

I stood up, approached him, and wrapped my arms around his waist.

He hugged me back immediately. He buried his nose in my hair and took a deep breath.

“Thank you, Lucy.” he mumbled. “I needed that.”

I looked up at him and smiled. He smiled back, but the smile didn’t reach his eyes.

“Can we go see her?” Theo asked, making Ethan look up at him.

“Yes.” Ethan nodded. “Mom and dad will go home to get her some stuff. You can go in there when they leave.”

I let him go, and Ethan looked down at me.

“Riley really wants to see you.” he said, giving me another small smile.

“Really?” I asked.

“Yes.” Ethan nodded.

“I really want to see her too.” I mumbled.

“I will come get you when my parents leave, okay?” Ethan said, looking up at Theo and Noah.

“Sure.” Noah said.

Ethan nodded, turned around, and walked back toward Riley’s room.

I felt someone pulling me into their arms.

It was Noah. He kissed my temple and wrapped his arms around me.

“Did you eat something?” he asked me.

“She didn’t.” Liam answered instead of me. “She was sleeping the entire time. The guys will bring us all something to eat.”

I wasn’t hungry.

All I wanted to do was see Riley.

I needed to tell her how sorry I was. I needed her to know that I would have switched places with her in a heartbeat.

Was she mad at me?

What if she hated me?

Oh, God, what if she hated me?!

My heart raced, and it became so hard to breathe.

What would I do if my best friend hated me?!

_____________________________________________

Hi, guys! 😄

Thank you so much for reading, following, and commenting. 

I just wanted to let you know that something important came up, and I won't be able to write and publish another chapter until Monday. 😔

Until then, please let me know whose POV you would like to see next. 😊

Thank you for your understanding! 

Have a wonderful weekend! 😘