Chapter 46

Riley POV

“Oh, my princess.” my dad mumbled for like the hundredth time today.

I didn’t mind, though. I thought that I would never hear him call me princess again.

He ran his fingers through my hair and kissed my forehead.

“I can’t believe that I wasn’t here when you needed me.” my dad mumbled. “I can’t believe that we didn’t answer our phones immediately. I feel like such a bad parent.”

“You are not, dad.” I said as I gave him a small smile. “You were on a business trip. You were in meetings. You couldn’t have known.”

“I should have known that something was going on with my baby.” dad sighed.

No matter what I said, I wouldn’t be able to convince him that what happened wasn’t his fault.

Dad looked down at Aiden. “How are you, buddy?”

Aiden was lying next to me. His head was on my shoulder, and his arms were wrapped around me. He refused to move an inch.

My mom was running her fingers through his hair. She hadn’t stopped sobbing since she came into the room. She didn’t loosen the grip on my hand ever since she sat down on the chair next to my bed.

“Better now that Riley is with me.” Aiden mumbled.

He was tired. He needed sleep. I could hear it in his voice.

“I am so sorry that I wasn’t here, bud.” my dad apologized again.

“It’s okay, dad.” Aiden said, lifting his head. “I wasn’t alone. Ethan was amazing.”

We all looked at my oldest brother. He was sitting on the couch, bouncing his leg up and down. He gave us a small smile.

My dad approached him and sat down on the couch next to him. He pulled him into his arms and kissed his temple.

“I’m so proud of you, my boy.” dad mumbled.

“I wouldn’t be proud if I were you, dad.” Ethan said, his voice quiet and raspy. “I couldn’t protect her.”

I gasped, making Ethan look at me.

Was he crazy?! It wasn’t his fault!

“What happened wasn’t your fault, Ethan.” I said. “You can’t blame yourself. Please don’t blame yourself.”

The pain in Ethan’s eyes was hard to see. I wished that I could take it away.

“Our princess is right, Ethan.” dad said. “It wasn’t your fault.”

Ethan gulped and tightened his jaw.

“Will you be okay until we come back?” my mom asked quietly.

I looked at her. She was wiping her cheeks and looking at me with so much worry that I almost screamed at her not to leave. Not because of me, but because of her.

But she needed to go home, eat, and shower. She just got off a plane. She worked all day yesterday. She needed to eat and change her clothes.

“I will be okay, mom.” I said, giving her a small smile. “Aiden and Ethan will stay with me.”

Both of them refused to go home, no matter how hard we tried to convince them.

“Are you sure?” she asked, leaning in and caressing my cheek.

“Yes, mom.” I said, giving her a small smile. “You need to go home and get my bear.”

“But hide it well on your way back, mom.” Ethan said with a hint of amusement in his voice. “Riley wouldn’t want people to know that she’s still sleeping with a stuffed bear.”

I looked at my brother and frowned.

“I like to have something to hug while I sleep.” I said, making Ethan chuckle.

“Is that why you named him?” Ethan asked.

I rolled my eyes at him.

“I will bring Toby.” my mom said softly. “And I will hide him well.”

I looked back at my mom and smiled. “Thank you.”

She stood up and bent down to kiss my cheek.

“Anything for my baby.” she mumbled and gave me a small smile.

I smiled back and looked at my dad, who was now standing next to my bed.

“We will be right back, okay, princess?” he said as he caressed my cheek.

“Okay, dad.” I said, smiling up at him.
I heard the door open and close. I looked at the couch. It was empty.

“Where did Ethan go?” I asked, looking at my parents.

“He mumbled something about a bathroom.” my dad said.

He looked at my mom and took a deep breath. He walked around my bed and approached my mom. She looked up at him, and they hugged each other tightly. My mom sobbed again.

I always loved how much my parents loved each other.

“It’s okay, Annie.” my dad mumbled. “Our baby is okay.”

My dad looked at me over my mom’s shoulder, and I smiled at him.

“That’s just gross, guys.” Aiden mumbled, making me chuckle.

He always had to comment on their affection. He always had to roll his eyes. He was teasing them, of course, but it was always funny to see how much my parents got worked up over it.

“Let me love your mother in peace, Aiden.” my dad mumbled grumpily.

Aiden snorted, making my dad roll his eyes.

My mom let my dad go and bent down to kiss both Aiden and me again.

“Okay.” she said. “We are coming right back.”

“Go, mom.” I said, smiling at her. “I will be okay."

My mom nodded, took a deep breath, and grabbed her bag.

My dad took her hand in his, and they walked to the door.

“Take care of her, Aiden.” my dad said as he opened the door and let my mom walk through.

“Of course, dad.” Aiden said, tightening his arms around me.

My dad smiled again before he closed the door behind them.

I leaned my head on Aiden’s. I was tired. I really wanted to go to sleep.

But a few moments later, the door opened, and Ethan walked back inside. I opened my eyes and looked at him.

“I told our friends that you would talk to them when mom and dad left.” Ethan said as he approached my bed.

“She is tired, Ethan.” Aiden mumbled. “Maybe later.”

“No, I am okay.” I said. “I want to see them.”

Aiden lifted his head and looked at me.

“You are tired, Riles.” he said softly.

“I am okay.” I repeated as I looked at him. “I want to see them.”

I wanted to see Lucy. I needed to see that she was okay. If that sick fucker got his hands on her…

I pushed the thought away and looked at Ethan.

“Are you sure?” he asked me.

“Yes.” I said.

Ethan nodded, turned back around, and left my room.

I took a deep breath and sat up straighter.

I really wanted to see Lucy.