Chapter 47

Lucy POV

I couldn’t wait to see Riley.

As soon as Ethan came back to get us, I rushed toward her room.

“Slow down, Lucy.” Theo mumbled disapprovingly.

I didn’t listen to him.

As soon as I opened the door, a wave of relief washed over me. It was so strong that I almost fell down.

“Riles!” I cried out as I rushed toward her.

I was hoping that she would want to hug me as much as I wanted to hug her. What if she hated me? What if she was angry at me?

I almost sobbed when I saw her reach out for me.

“Lu!” she exclaimed as I wrapped my arms around her.

“I am so sorry, Riley.” I sobbed. “I am so sorry. It should have been me. He should have taken me. He should ha…”

“God, Lucy, no!” Riley said as she broke the hug to look at me. “It shouldn’t have been you. Don’t say that, please. You have nothing to be sorry for. It wasn’t your fault.”

I studied her face for a second.

“You are not angry at me?” I mumbled, trying to stop the warm tears from falling to my cheeks.

She smiled and shook her head.

“Of course not.” she said. “It wasn’t your fault.”

“But he did it because of me.” I sobbed, looking down at my hands.

“No, Lucy.” Riley said softly. “He did it because of Jack and Brian.”

I looked up at her and took a deep breath.

“It wasn’t your fault.” Riley repeated quietly.

I hugged her again, making her chuckle.

“I was so afraid that you would hate me.” I mumbled quietly.

She gasped and tightened her arms around me.

“I could never hate my best friend!” she said, making me smile through my tears.

“Okay, enough.” I heard Noah’s voice. “Let us hug her.”

I let go of Riley and took a step back so my brothers could hug her. Noah approached her first.

“Thank God you are okay, Riley.” Noah mumbled quietly. “I was so scared.”

Riley smiled. “I’m okay, Noah.”

Noah let her go and smiled. He moved away so Theo could hug her next.

Theo wrapped his arms around her so tightly that I thought Riley would break in half.

“Don’t ever scare me like that.” Theo mumbled as he kissed her temple. “I will beat the shit out of you if you do this to me again.”

Riley chuckled. “That’s not a nice thing to say, Theo.”

“Yeah, watch it.” Aiden mumbled.

I looked at him for the first time since I ran into the room. He looked calmer, but still broken as fuck.

What did that man do to her?

Theo let Riley go. Liam and Ezra approached her and gave her a hug.

“I am so glad that you are okay, kid.” Liam mumbled as he smiled at her.

“I will make you lasagna as soon as you are out of here.” Ezra said as he winked at her.

Riley gasped. Her eyes widened.