-Chapter sixteen-

TW: minor swearing, injury

————————————

You slowly blinked your eyes open to hear a small beeping sound and bright lights entering your vision. When you sat up, wincing from pain in your leg, you looked around and was in a hospital bed. Memories of what happened earlier came flooding back.

"Im alive" a small breath of relief left your lips. Suddenly, a nurse entered the room with a clipboard. She looked in her early 20's, with long, silky, black hair pulled back into a low ponytail and hazel eyes. She was beautiful.

"Oh, you're awake! How are you feeling?" she asked, a look of concern on her face. "Sore" you answered truthfully. "But im mainly okay" you reasurred her. She nodded. "How long was I asleep for?" you questioned. "Oh, only a few hours"

She continued "We stitched up your wounds, apart from the one on your jaw, because that one wasnt fatal. It will only leave a scar" You nodded in understanding. "You're gonna have to stay in the hospital for a few days while you are recovering, but then you can go back to the comfort of your own home" she smiled at the last part.

You returned a weak smile. "For the moment, you need to rest. We dont want your stitches bursting open now, do we?" she joked. You chuckled "No ma'am"

She fixed her posture "I'll leave you be for now. Rest easy" she spoke softly. "Thank you" you nodded, then she left the room.

-Timeskip-

Time came, then passed. You spent 4 days in the hospital. Your wounds weren't hurting as much, but they still made you wince whenever you made a quick move. You were finally sent home, but you needed to rest some more for a full recovery.

Once you arrived back into your cosy apartment at 10:04pm, you kicked off your shoes then slowly laid down on your bed. You checked your pager for any messages.

Inbox: 4 new messages.

3 messages were from your manager, and what surprised you, is that you had one from Dave too.

There was this special pager that was introduced, earlier this year actually, and it was the new hottest thing, literally every adult/teenager you saw had one of these. It allowed you to send actual text messages instead of just codes.

3 new messages from: Boss

Boss: Hey Y/N, I heard about what happened. Im terribly sorry for that, you didnt deserve it.
Boss: Wishing you a speedy recovery
Boss: You can stay off work for however long you like, as long as you are well rested.

You thought your manager was some grumpy old guy who didnt care about anyone, but turns out he does have a heart.

You typed back:

You: Thank you, sir! No need to apologise, it wasnt your doing. I wont be off work for too long, I'd rather not be stuck in my apartment for ages either.

Then, you checked the message from Dave.

1 new message from: Dave

Dave: Sorry to hear about what happened kiddo. Hope your ok.

You were still befuddled that Dave out of all people messaged you too.

You wrote back:

You: Thanks, Dave. I appreciate it. I'll be coming back to work soon.