Chapter Three: The Morning After

Blake's Perspective:

Theo Wright entered my life as a new kid at Redcliff who just moved to the city a few days ago. He's such a teacher's pet, and not to mention, a fucking freak. He's got this insanely annoying voice and it's embarrassing to say I've got multiple periods with this kid.

I've never seen a guy so nerdy before and so passionate about school.. It's not normal in this day and age. Most guys, including me, in my grade and in high school in general are all about sports. Personally, I enjoy football and being on the school's football team with my friends; it gave me a good reputation and I'm known as the King of Redsen High by everyone who knows me.

Whatever I say, goes, and I get things done when and how I like it. The geeks do my homework without question, in fear of being pulverized, and the cheerleaders are all over me day and night. I've got everything I want - but it always seems like something's missing.

The ceiling seemed like it was closing in on me, inching closer to my face the more I stared at it. The white wooden panelings were all that filled my vision - that, and my golden retriever that jumped onto my bed. His presence filled my dreary morning with licks, and excitement, "Hey, boy. Who let you in?" I got up from my back, and sat against my headboard. "Yo, I needed a ride to school so I biked to your house." Cody threw an energy drink towards me, which I caught and then placed on my nightstand. 

"Sounds good man, let me get out of these clothes first," I said, hopping out of bed, grabbing a pair of decent clothes and into my bathroom. I freshened up and headed downstairs with Cody to get something quick before we headed out. I grabbed a protein bar, and slung my backpack over my shoulder before leaving with Cody.

That morning, I completed my daily task of messing with some nerd around campus, and what better way to start my school day than with one of the geekiest of them all, Theo Wright? Yeah, we had a pretty normal conversation in the nurse's office yesterday, and I did walk him to his next class after the swelling reduced, but nonetheless I wouldn't consider him as my friend. 

I spotted him sitting on the stairwell inside the school, writing away furiously on his notebook, with earbuds on. As my friends and I inched closer, his humming became more audible. He was quietly singing along to some tune, which I recognized because my dad played it often in the living room. Something by 'The Smiths'.. Or was it 'The Cure'? I couldn't care less. My smirk widened as I got closer.

"Check out this loser, Brooks," Cody elbowed my arm and chuckled as he went over to Theo, who didn't look up until Cody knocked his notebook and pen out of his hands with one swift shove. Both items fell to the ground with a thud. Theo didn't do anything about the fallen items for a few seconds, but I could see that he didn't look the best.

Theo's eyebrows furrowed as he completely ignored Cody, and bent down to retrieve his items on the floor. Cody's smirk faded, clearly annoyed by his unphased reaction, and he kicked Theo on his side. Theo finally gave in and clutched the side of his torso after letting out a cry of pain. Cody and some of my other friends behind me laughed, seeing him hurt.

Of course, I had to give my two cents and join in the laughter, although my chortle sounded weaker than the rest of my peers. I saw Theo slightly grit his teeth, grab his belongings, and limped weakly around the corner and out of sight when Cody grabbed my shoulder and shook it.

"You good, Blakey?" He sputtered, using a jokingly endearing nickname, as his obnoxious laughter died down. I cocked my eyebrows and pressed my lips together in a thin line. "Why wouldn't I be? That was the highlight of my day, Andrews." I smirked at him, while running my hand through my hair.

A couple seconds after, the bell rang, signaling the start of the first period. I had Geometry, which I hated, but nonetheless passed because of all the answers I got from the nerds in my class. Cody and I parted ways, and I went in the opposite direction. "What's good, man." My other friend, who was also on the football team, slung his arm over my shoulder in a friendly manner, and we walked to our shared first period together.

Cameron, Cam, for short, was another person I regularly hung out with. He wasn't as close to me as Cody was, but he was gettin' there. We met in our freshmen year, during football try-outs. Unlike Cody, Cameron had blonde hair that was naturally lighter than mine. He was shorter than me, by half an inch or so, just like Cody. "Nothin' much. Just messed with some junior for the entire morning. Shit, you should join us next time. That little fuck was fun to kick around." A chuckle escaped my lips.

Cameron shoved both of his hands into the pockets of his varsity jacket, and grinned, "You guys sure do love making people miserable, yeah? Not much of my thing, but I do love verbal torment more than physical. Hitting and kicking.. Yeah, that shit ain't my style." Cameron was one of the few people with morals at Redsen High - he was respectful, yet still managed to fit in with the jocks. He was right though, he always had good comebacks, and good argument points.

Before we knew it, we had reached the door to our Geometry class, and we made our way in, and then to our seats, which were distanced pretty far apart from one another. 

--

Time passed quicker than I had anticipated - it was now nearing the start of my last period, Physical Education. The locker rooms has got to be one of the best classrooms out of all of the ones I have in my schedule, if it can even be considered as one. Every jock in the locker room was a friend of mine, and the friendliness and closeness I had with all the other footballers seemed almost like a tight-knit friend-group.

What I hated about the locker rooms was the fact that not everyone here was a part of the football team. Here and there would be nerds scattered in the dark corners of the locker rooms, hiding behind their locker doors to get changed, fearing people rearing insults towards their scrawny builds.

I could never know how that felt - I wasn't on the receiving end, I was the one who would give it to them hard. If anyone messed with me, I would not hesitate to break one of the bones on their almost skeletal-like builds right then and there.

Theo was one of the scrawny motherfuckers who had Physical Education last period as well, with all the jocks, including me. His locker was on the west wing of the locker rooms, a bit further away from mine, but every once in a while, I would catch a glimpse of him putting on his P.E shirt, or his raggedy old converse.

For someone with a prosperous family, coming from old money and extreme wealth, you would've thought he would wear better shoes. I guess what they say is true, the rich have no style. He's just another trust-fund bitch who gets money handed to him with a snap of his fingers. He gets it so easy for him, that his family doesn't give a shit about other people's lives or jobs. That's why his fuckwad of a father fucking destroyed my parents' business.

I didn't even realize how long I was staring at him for, until Melvin threw an ice-cold water bottle right at my back. The feeling of the cold water droplets running down my toned back made me slightly shiver, and grunt. "Fuck, man - what was that for?" He managed to snap me out of my trance. I turned to look at the raven-haired male, and he rolled his eyes, expressing annoyance. "I give you water and this is how you treat me? Fine, give it back, you can die of dehydration out on the track. It's ninety degrees, but whatever floats your boat, man."

He walked closer, holding out his hand to retrieve his water, but I swat his hand away in an instant and snatched the bottle off from the ground. "You threw it to me without warning dude, not cool." We laughed it off and joked around while walking out. I looked behind my shoulder, to stare back at Theo for a few seconds.

These days, I've been finding myself subconsciously looking for him, I don't know what's wrong  with me. I spotted him sitting at the bench near his locker. He was holding his phone, with a saddened expression. Something was wrong, I just knew it