Chapter Eleven: Disdain

Theo's Perspective

I don't like Blake Brooks. I think that my lack of physical touch has gotten out of hand. It's been making me overanalyze things. Of course he wasn't going to kiss me yesterday - we haven't even known each other for more than a month. He's just been getting too close to me lately. It's hard for me to like someone, nonetheless develop a crush on them. I need to back off of Blake before things end badly. He would never go for someone like me anyway.

I slapped myself, thinking about how I could be so stupid to fall for someone like him. Things weren't going to end well and I would just end up hurt. He's a jerk, douche, and player. The big three red flags in any guy. Think of the devil and he shall appear.. Blake looked like he had just come from football practice, looking all sweaty and exhausted. How am I supposed to resist him when he practically looks like a god?

A big sigh came out of my mouth, and I rolled my eyes. I was in the library after school to study for a test that was tomorrow, and coincidentally, Blake had practice today too. He knew I was in the library because he probably saw me through the tall windows in the building. "Saw you from the field, and wanted to be with you." He smiled, taking off his backpack and sitting next to me. "You couldn't possibly have been studying for three whole hours." He said, raising an eyebrow.

"I'm sorry that not everyone at school has a short attention span like you, Blake." I said. It seemed to catch him off-guard, and I shot him an annoyed look (or, a wanna-be annoyed look). It seemed to work however, and he brought his chair closer to me. "What's up with you today? You're back to being your moody self. I thought we were friends?" He questioned. "It's.. It's nothing. I just don't want to be bothered right now." I said, gritting my teeth.

"Whatever. I'm staying here until you leave, whether you like it or not. Afterwards, I'm gonna force you to eat dinner with me." Blake said, grinning from ear to ear, as he leaned back in his chair. "As if. You can go without me. You probably should, because it looks like you need a shower." I wanted to add in, 'smells like it too', but I would've been lying, because he didn't even reek of sweat. In fact, he smelled expensive.

Blake looked surprisingly annoyed, and he grabbed my pencil from me. 'H.. Hey! Give it back!" I tried making a grab for it, but he just moved his hand further away. "Nope. Not until you agree to go out to eat with me." I had barely any time to study for the test, and I was already aggravated enough as it is because of my feelings for someone like Blake. I gave in, sighing in frustration and defeat. "Well.. Fine.. But nothing fancy like last time, okay? And no, it's not because of money, or whatever dumb conclusion you're gonna make up, it's because I'm tired and I just want something small."

"Gotcha." He threw my pencil at me, and I managed to barely catch it. For the rest of the time, he went from watching me do my work, to watching whatever it was on his phone. It was silent, apart from the occasional small snickers he made when he saw something funny on his device. Each time he smiled at something on his phone, I looked up at him, and couldn't help but feel my mouth inching into a small smile. I was surprised that he didn't leave, or nag me after that.

When I deemed myself done with studying, I packed up my things, and stood up to leave. "Wait up, nerd!" Blake said, slinging his backpack over one shoulder and speed-walking after me. He put his arm over my shoulder, like usual, and we made our way to his car. He put my bike inside the backseat, and we drove off to god-knows-where.

By the time we reached our destination, the sun had already gone down. I recognized the familiar scenery and realized that we had parked outside of his house. I looked over and saw my house, which was right next to his. I almost forgot that we were neighbors. "Your house? Are you planning on murdering me?" I asked snidely.

"If I wanted to, I would've done it ages ago." Blake snickered as we got out of the car and walked up the long path to his porch. His house was smaller than mine in comparison, but still a mansion regardless. When I got inside, I was overwhelmed by the interior of his house. It felt more 'homey' than mine, with pictures of his family all over the walls, and lots of pieces of memorabilia scattered throughout the shelves. It was still classy inside though, much like the decoration in my house, but with a different color scheme.

He brought me to the kitchen, where I saw two brown paper bags on the dining table. "What's this?" I asked, as he pulled out my chair for me. "I ordered take-out since you said you wanted something small." I swear, if this was a scheme to get me to fall for him even more, then it's safe to say that it was working. "But how? You were with me the whole time in the library." He sat down across from me, and opened the bags full of food.

"Technology. And a brother at home to bring the food in." I tilted my head at his response - I didn't know that Blake had a brother. "You.. have a sibling?" I questioned, unknowingly. "Yeah - and he's a pain in the ass." He said, earning a chuckle from me. "How come I've never met him?" I asked. "Well, Garrett's away at college, like your brother, except mine goes to one that's out of the country." Blake answered, as he unraveled his food. "But he's going to be here for a bit because he's visiting his girlfriend."

I muttered a small, 'oh' and quietly ate my food. While eating, I continuously looked around at my surroundings. He had a nice kitchen, with a window that had a view of his backyard. It looked huge outside, with a big pool, and lots of field space. Probably for him to play football on. Blake broke the ice by saying, "How's the food?" This comment brought my attention to the fact that I was almost done devouring the entire take-out box.

"It's.. great. Thanks, by the way." I said, smiling at him. He grinned back. "Uh, where's your restroom?" I said, putting my utensil down. "You can use the one down the hall to your right." He pointed towards the hallway that was next to us, and I quietly thanked him. I got up, and made my way down the hall.

".. No, Zoey, that's not what I meant..! No, I love you - no, I'm not fucking lying!" As I inched closer to the supposed bathroom, I heard the voice of a male arguing with someone over the phone. The door next to the restroom was open slightly, and me being annoyingly curious, I looked inside a little. The man inside the room seemed to spot me right away, and I opened my mouth in shock. I pulled myself away, and was practically running to the restroom, when his voice called out to me, "Hey. Do I know you?" I stopped, and sighed before turning around.

"No.. And I'm sorry for looking into your room like that, I shouldn't have. And I didn't hear your conversation!" I nervously said, looking down in nervousness. The man seemed to slightly chuckle, and he came closer. He put his hand in front of me, waiting for me to shake his hand. I reciprocated, and he said, "Nice to meet you, I'm Garrett. You don't seem like the type to be Blake's friend, so what are you doing here?" He asked.

I looked up at him, and inspected his features further. He had dark blonde hair like Blake, but instead of blue eyes, he had light brown eyes, taking after his dad, I'm guessing. "Well, you're not wrong. I'm not his friend, more like an.. Acquaintance? Nice to meet you too though." I smiled shyly. He looked to be in his early twenties.

He looked behind me, "Looks like you were about to use the restroom. Sorry for interrupting. I'll see you around." He gave me a nice, genuine, smile - unlike Blake with all of his devilish smirks. He walked away back into his room, and I scratched my head in confusion on what just happened before entering the bathroom.