Chapter Eight: One-Time Thing

After what happened yesterday, I wasn't able to sleep until 6 AM. However, now it was Monday morning. I spent my Sunday pondering endlessly over my encounter with Blake, and if it had meant anything to him. I hadn't received a call from him, nor a text, what I did receive though, was the notification that he had posted a photo on his Instagram. The first picture was of his girlfriend sipping wine, with his hand extended to hold hers. Then, the second was of him smiling stupidly next to my dad's signed jersey.

I missed him, and I was so jealous of Keagan at that moment. She had what I wanted - Him. So, that's how I spent my Sunday. Stalking Blake on social media, and fawning over him, and then occasionally even making envious remarks about his girlfriend. It was another sunny morning, and I was in the library, studying for a test I had today.

The sun shone onto my head, making it hard at times to concentrate. I knew I had to pass, because I always do. Class wasn't going to start for another 10 minutes, so I figured I should spend my time usefully, and study. Was I really unconcentrated because of the sun, or was it because of the fact that Blake was the only thing on my mind? I sighed, and rested my elbow on the table, with my chin in my palm.

I fiddled with my pencil, and looked through the big, glass windows of the library. My eyes wandered around the exterior of the campus, until it landed on him. His dirty blonde hair was shining amidst the sunlight, and his smile seemed to beam brighter than the sun itself. He was tossing around a football with his friends in front of the school. He was with his huge friend group, and his girlfriend was by his side. When I noticed her presence, I audibly sighed and bit the inside of my mouth.

Did she always have to be by him? Seeing her ruins my view of him. I think all of this internalized hatred towards Keagan originated from the sole fact that she was dating the guy I so badly wanted. Even from inside of the library, I could still hear his laughter, and the yells of his friends. I sat in my seat, admiring him from afar, knowing that was the only thing I could do.

My first few periods were over, and the bell had just rung for lunch. I was so glad to have finally been able to escape the loads of assignments that I was forced to do, and the constant taunting from Cody. Surprisingly, Blake toned it down a bit today. Whenever he physically hurt me, it would be a light slap to the head, or punch to the arm. Usually, I would have gotten worse.

Has my previous encounter with him softened his feelings towards me? Even if just by a little bit? I walked out the back entrance, and sat under a bench that was situated under a nice, shady tree. I took out a chocolate bar from my backpack, and silently ate it as I enjoyed the scenery that was bestowed upon me.

I liked the feeling of being at peace, and I like the sounds of birds chirping, and the sounds of the water fountain behind me pouring water continuously. I was enjoying my time alone, when all of a sudden a pair of hands came up from behind me and gripped my shoulders!

"AH!" I let out a.. Not so manly shriek.. And slid to the other side of the bench. Out of breath, I looked behind me, only to be greeted by none other than Blake Brooks. A part of me was happy to see him, while the other said that I should run away before he hurt me again.

Nonetheless, I still sat there without even moving an inch. "Didn't mean to scare you, nerd." He laughed. He took a seat next to me, and scooted closer to where I was sitting. "I didn't bring lunch money today.. Sorry." I looked in the other direction. "What? I don't want your fuckin' money. Just wanted to mess with you." Blake gave me a devilish grin, and put his fingers on my jaw to force me to look directly at him.

"I was looking for you so that I could clarify some things. What happened on Saturday was nothing. You meant nothing. And I don't want you telling anyone about what happened, or what I did, because it was a one-time thing." He spat, making sure to lace every word with venom. I cowered at his authoritative tone, and barely even managed to speak. "..Yes."