Chapter Twenty: Sneaking Out

"I'll have the smoked salmon, and my wife here will get.." My dad looked over to my mom, raising an eyebrow, "I'll just get the same thing." She said while smiling, handing the menu back to the waitress. "I.. I'll get whatever Blake gets. I don't know what to pick." To be frank, I've never been to this restaurant, and I'm not a picky eater.

Plus, Blake looks like he would be the type of person to know what to get. I could see him grinning at me from the corner of my eye before he began to speak, "I'll get the steak. Medium-rare." The waiter wrote something down on the notepad, before looking back at me, "And you're getting that too, am I right?"

I nodded, pursing my lips together awkwardly. The waiter left our table and my mom excused herself to use the bathroom. We sat in silence for a moment before my dad set down his glass of water and began a conversation. "So.." he turned towards Blake. "How are you doing kid? Hanging out with my son I assume?" He chuckled. I felt the back of my neck heat up but plastered on a small smile as I turned to face Blake.

"Good, thank you. Yeah, Theo, a few of our friends and I have been running around together and talking." Blake grinned. "Oh, to be young again." My dad shook his head and sighed. "Boys your age must be crazy about sports, friends, and girls of course! I'm sure that's who you are too Blake." He hummed a slow "mhm" in response.

To save a potentially more awkward moment, my mom thankfully came back and our appetizers arrived. A platter of seared scallops sat in front of me and I immediately went in for a bite. While chewing on the scallop I felt a smile form on my face—it was really good! I turned to my right and Blake gave me a warm smile as he used his fork to eat a piece too. The rest of dinner went well; I don't know why I was even worried! By the end of our meal my dad was joking around with Blake and it seemed like Blake had a good time.

We dropped him off at his house and I motioned for him to call me later. He winked to show me he understood. I took a nice shower and exhaustedly flopped down on my bed. As I lay face-down on my pillow, I heard a knock from my door.

I thought it was my mom and dad and yelled, "Who is it?" I didn't care enough to move from my comfortable position at first. When no one responded, I impatiently yelled again. I groaned and heaved myself off my bed and swung open my bedroom door.

"God, if you're gonna knock-" I angrily exclaimed, but stopped when another knock came from behind me. I spun around, surprised, and saw Blake crouching in the tree next to my window with a big grin on his face.

I chuckled and shook my head as I ran over to let him in. "Hey, I told you to call me.. But I'm not mad about this either." I shrugged, smiling. Blake laughed in return, and sat in my desk chair."Why'd you come anyways?" I asked. "To sneak out!" Blake raised his brows up and down and drummed his fingers on the backrest of the chair. "Really? To where?" My eyes immediately glanced at my jacket hanging on the back of my door.

"Mm..", Blake hummed, "I was thinking maybe the nearby park? You know, Almansor Park?" Doesn't sound like a bad idea, I thought and agreed to go. My house had two security cameras but it's not like my parents bother to check it unless they really have to. I don't think they check up on me in my room that often either.

I slipped into my jacket and watched as Blake swiftly slipped out the window. He waited for me to follow him on the thick branch of the tree. I hesitantly placed my hands on the windowsill and looked down. I never snuck out before, let alone get out of my room from my window, and never realized how long of a drop I could fall if I tried.

I looked up at Blake who extended an arm for me to support myself as I climbed out. My balance isn't the best, admittedly, and I nearly knocked the two of us over!

Blake luckily stopped us from getting injured in any way; must be from his athletic experience. I blushed in his arms, but none of us could see each other's faces in the dark night. Even the moonlight wasn't enough to reveal my pink face.

Whenever Blake stepped down to a branch, I'd follow right after, until we reached the bottom and were able to finally run away. "You know how to get there right?" The blonde jock asked me. I nodded in response. "Okay then, let's go!" Blake immediately bolted down the street—he could have at least given me a head start, he's the athletic one here!

I ran after him as fast as I could and kept pulling up my jacket as it continuously slid off my shoulders. The park wasn't far, only two blocks away, but man was I tired after reaching the end of the first block. Hopefully spending more time with Blake would mean I'd get more fit too.

I was panting and wheezing by the time I reached the fence of the park and clutched onto a pole for support. "Took you long enough," Blake snickered and handed me the rest of his half-finished water bottle. I blurted out a quick 'thanks' and chugged it down. "You ever come down here at night?" Blake asked. "It's a good spot for nights like this."

A good spot for nights like this? What did he mean? What's his plan..? I thought, trailing behind him as he shoved his hands in his pockets and jumped off a bench. "Where are you taking me?" I asked as I felt the ground begin to incline. 

"You'll see!" He yelled from somewhere in the small forest of trees I had to dodge; perfect, considering that I could barely see where I was going. I've been to this park before, but I've never walked past the playground. "Are you trying to murder me? Why are you bringing me through a forest at night?"

It seemed like the crowd of trees would never end until I reached a grassy clearing. I caught a glimpse of Blake running up a hill towards me and I ran towards him. "Hurry up!" He laughed when he made it to the top. "I.. can barely.. keep up.. stop doing that.." I tiredly and weakly punched him in the arm. "Hopefully your suffering was worth it when you look up." Blake said in a calm tone. My eyes shot upwards and met the hundreds of stars in the sky.

"Wow.." I breathed and my mouth was left agape. I was so mesmerized by the sight that I forgot Blake was there for a second until he started rolling up his sleeve. He glanced down at his watch and smiled. "It's exactly 12 a.m." I gave him a funny expression. "Good to know..?"

Blake chuckled and sat himself down on the grass. He patted the empty space next to him and told me to sit. "I said the time because.." he trailed off and looked to the sky. A bright white light shot through the sky, followed closely by another. "I didn't know there was a meteor shower tonight! I don't look outside that often to see them." I whispered to Blake. "It's beautiful.." He turned to me. "It sure is."

Blake's Perspective

I knew this was a good spot. The way Theo was so happy to see the meteor shower was undeniably adorable. In that moment I didn't give a fuck about the meteor shower or what was happening around us because all my attention was on him. I watched as he excitedly pointed out things he noticed in the sky and all I could do was smile and nod.

"It's beautiful.." Theo whispered. "It sure is," I replied, but I couldn't help myself. I cupped the side of his face and slowly guided his gaze towards me. His lips were parted, but no words seemed to come out – we didn't need words to describe how the moment had felt.

If you kiss him, it's for the sake of your plan – nothing else, Blake, nothing else. It's just a kiss that means nothing to you. Even with all of the reassurance collected in my head, they all seemed to go away just as quickly as they had come when my lips were subconsciously locked with his.