Chapter Sixteen: Late Night Thoughts

I spat out my cup of water into the sink, and turned my head around to look at Blake, "Hey.. You don't mind if Eric sleeps over right?" I was worried about him, since he lived a couple of hours away, and since his car accident, I didn't want him to drive alone at night anymore. "As long as he's not sleeping in my room." I rolled my eyes at his sarcastic response.

"So.. Where's he gonna stay then?" I questioned. I watched as he spat out his cup of water into the sink, and then rested his toothbrush inside his cup before responding, "Probably in the guest room." He muttered. I nodded at his response. I bit the inside of my cheek, "Do you have any extra clothes?" I asked, embarrassed. I hated asking him for his clothes - I don't know why, but it just felt like an intimate thing to do.. To borrow his clothes..

"Yeah. Here, I'll get 'em for you." I followed him out of the bathroom, and we made our way into his bedroom. His room was navy blue, with band posters, and lots of trophies and medals on his shelves.. Typical jockey room. While he was looking in his closet for clothes, I took this as my opportunity to ask him a question that's been on my mind for the entire night. "Blake." I said, hoping to catch his attention.

He continued to search through his closet, but managed a quick reply, "What's up?" I bit my lip, wondering if I should even ask this, "Since Eric's occupying the guest room.. Where am I gonna stay?" For some reason, his response surprised me. He let out a chuckle, and it made me tilt my head to the side in confusion.

"In my room, idiot." He threw me some clothes that I assumed were his pajamas. They were sweatpants, and a seemingly oversized shirt. However, I was still dumbstruck by his reply, "No way! Can't I sleep on your couch? Or.. the floor?" I murmured, feeling my face grow red. He can't seriously expect me to share a bed with him, right?! "I couldn't possibly let you do that. You're sleeping on my bed, whether you like it or not." He grinned, crossing his arms as he leaned against the wall.

His house, his rules, right? I was too tired and weak to argue, and I wanted nothing more than to finally sleep, so I let out a big sigh and responded to his snarky comment, "Fine. But I'm keeping my distance." My hand reached out for the nearest pillow, and I put it in the middle, indicating that I wanted there to be a barrier between us.

Blake laughed at my childish antics, and he got on the bed beside me (on the other side of my pillow barrier, obviously). He rested both of his hands behind his head, as he leaned against the headboard, "What are you thinking about?" I asked, watching him as he stared at his wall. "Nothing.. Except for how lucky I am to have met you." He turned his head to look at me, and his eyes met mine. For some reason, I couldn't pull away, no matter how flustered I was at his sudden compliment.

If you told me a few weeks ago that I would be in Blake Brooks' bed, with him flirting with me, I would have laughed in your face. But now, I couldn't help but smile back, almost laughing at his flirtatious attitude. "Shut up.." I whispered, chuckling quietly. He turned the lights off, and his room was so silent that I bet you could even hear a pin drop. 

"Thank you.." I whispered, "For everything.. Defending me, bandaging me.. Being there for me.." I said the last part as quietly as I could, but knowing Blake, he probably heard it. "You don't have to thank me. I would do anything for you." I was so screwed. I was falling for him - even more than I had anticipated.

My mind was hazy, and I could feel myself drifting off into sleep. I guess that because I was so tired, I let my feelings consume me, making me do things that I would've never otherwise have done. I begrudgingly threw the pillow that was separating us to the opposite end of the bed, and moved my body closer to him.

My face was on his neck, inhaling his scent. I've never felt this comfortable in my entire life - being here with him just felt right. Maybe that was my drowsiness acting, but still, with my head in his chest, I felt so protected and.. Cared for. I had found refuge where I had least expected. My body was pressed up against his, with his chin resting on the top of my head. He wrapped an arm around me, pulling me closer to him, and our legs were intertwined under his blanket.