Chapter Twenty-Three: Christmas Spirit

Blake's Perspective

Monday eventually rolled around and I stepped into school, surrounded by students putting up decorations to get into the winter mood. It reminded me that Christmas break was right around the corner, and I had a genuine smile on my face for the first time in a long time at school. Snowflakes made out of construction paper were taped to the hallway walls and some were even strung to the ceilings. Pastel blue and white streamers were hung in every direction, and Christmas music played from the speakers every morning.

I was getting into the Christmas spirit alright. I walked over to Ryan McGregor, a classmate of mine in AP World History and saw him hanging up a long banner above the cafeteria's doorway with another classmate of mine, Hannah Simmons. "Hey man, what're you guys putting up?" I asked, curiously. "We're hanging a banner for the Winter Ball, there are gonna be posters for it all around school too." He motioned for Hannah to bring her side of the banner a little higher.

The winter ball, huh? I forgot that was even happening! I remember in freshman year how I was so excited to go someday with my girlfriend, but times have changed and I had someone else in mind to take; Theo. This ball felt like a good way to end things.. Off. I didn't want to think about it too much. All I know is that I got what I needed from him, but I was asking myself if I got everything I wanted from him. I guess something else I needed was to get over Theo.

I didn't know how I was going to ask him. I wasn't the best at planning things like this, but I knew that whatever it is, it needed to come from me.

I met up with my gang at our usual table at lunch and told them my plan. They were huddled around me and seemed invested in my idea. "That's perfect, man! Bet the little twink didn't see this one coming." The whole group laughed. Cody gripped my shoulder firmly, "Whatever this guy comes up with, he won't disappoint." I exchanged a knowing smile with him and glanced around the table.

Theo's Perspective

The Winter Ball? I've been dreading the day that I would be old enough to go. Not sure how Blake feels about it. I don't know what Blake's plans are, but I was unsure if they included inviting me to the ball. As much as I hated big school events because I could never really attend them, I wouldn't mind going to the ball if Blake was there with me. Knowing him, however, I felt that he might show up with his friends.

Since he was a senior, I could only go if he invited me. I wasn't too keen on the idea of forcing him to ask me – so I guess I'll just see where the day goes. The ball was in two days, so if he doesn't ask me by then, I guess I just.. Won't go. I mean, it's a gym full of sweaty people dancing, and loud trap music. It's not my cup of tea anyway.. But who's to say he won't ask me?

I was fine with staying home instead of going to the dance; beats going and doing nothing for nothing. I didn't let it worry me too much, even though posters for it were everywhere. The Christmas music put me in a good mood in the mornings and reminded me that Christmas break was a week away!

Speaking of Christmas, I thought of getting Blake something, adding onto the few gifts I got for the few people that I knew. On my cold walk home from school, my phone buzzed and I pulled it out from my back pocket. It was Eric calling! I hadn't talked to him in a while with everything going on with Blake, so I was glad he called me, even if it was out of the blue.

"Hey Eric! I said cheerfully, "Is your school decorated for winter yet?" It took a few seconds before I could hear his voice from the other end, "Um.. If you count a few paper snowflakes on the walls as decoration, then yeah." He was still the same Eric I knew. A chuckle left my mouth at his response before I replied, "Can't be too bad. That reminds me.. Are you still talking to Cody?" I hadn't seen Cody in a while, since Blake and I mostly hang out away from his friends.