Chapter Seventeen: The Pier

The first few minutes were a failed attempt at being comfortable; I think I tried too hard and became fidgety. I constantly shifted in my seat and rested my hand on my chin as I stared out the window. I could tell that Blake chose the scenic route. Through Eric's low snoring, I managed to say something.

"Have you been before?" I asked vaguely. "What? Oh, to the pier?" Blake raised a brow and I nodded in response. "I have, it's pretty fun," he smiled. "One question though. Are you willing to go on a roller coaster or something scary with me?"

I wasn't deathly afraid of coasters or what most people consider 'big rides', but I was certain that I'd feel a little uneasy in line. "They're fine; can't say I'm too fond of them though." I said and quieted myself to listen to the radio. I thought about what I wanted to ride later and what food I knew I had to get; I wish things like this were the only things I had to worry about.

Eric was happily bouncing beside me on my left, with Blake cooly sauntering on my right. Joyful screaming came from every direction at the carnival and it brought the pier around us to life. It truly felt like being a kid again: no worries and a little fun; it never hurt anyone!

The sun was brighter than ever - I guess they were right when they said it never rains in California. Concession stands were crowded by lines full of people waiting to play games, or for the taste of cold ice cream.

 "Shit, that looks sick. Yo, you wanna go on it Theo?" Blake pointed at an orange rollercoaster that hovered above us. Was this guy serious?! I gulped down my nervousness, and masked my fear with a smile, "Um.. Sure!" The least I could do after making him drive all the way here was to go on the ride he wanted.

"Eric, you coming?" Blake was already a few steps ahead of me, wanting to save us a spot in line before it got too long, but Eric was still standing still, stuck to his little spot under the shade. He was biting his lip, and his eyebrows were knit together worriedly.

The last time he acted like this was when we went to an amusement park a year ago, and he didn't want to go on a rollercoaster with his cousin because it had loops and drops. I sighed, and called out to him, "If you don't want to go on it, we can meet up later." I held up my phone, indicating that he could text me if anything happened.

A grateful look appeared on his face, and he nodded joyously. Behind Eric's strong and sassy facade was just a kid who was scared of even the smallest things. Kind of like me - which was probably why we had so much in common. Except, I had someone who I wanted to put my fears behind me for. Blake.

He was already in line, so I slithered through the crowds to find him. "Hey, there you are. I'm guessing Eric's not coming with us?" He asked. I nodded. "Oh my god, Emmie, do you see that blonde guy over there?" A girl from behind me giggled. Okay, eavesdropping is my weakness, but I was curious about who they were fawning over! It certainly couldn't be Blake, could it?

My head turned to look behind me, and saw two teenage girls pointing somewhere in front of me, "He's so cute. Do you think I should ask for his number?" The girl, Emmie, said. She had brown straight hair, and a botched tan. "Yes, obviously. Go for it! Why would he say no to someone like you?" Her friend hyped her up, and 'Emmie' began to giggle loudly.

She started walking away from her friend, and bumped into about five people before she passed me, and stopped in front of Blake. Oh my god - Blake was who she was talking about. How could I be so stupid? Blake. Blonde Blake. I looked down at the ground, and squeezed my eyes shut. There was a sudden lump in my throat - and ache in my heart?

Of course he'd give her his number - he was a player. He's known to hook up with girls even though he was in an on-and-off-again relationship with Keagan. He had girls practically lined up, so I should've known that he would never choose me. He might flirt with me, yeah, but that's what friends do. Her high-pitched voice brought me back to reality, making me remember that she was still there.