Chapter Thirty-Eight: Only Yours

A deafening silence filled the car, unnerving in its efforts to make the atmosphere not only uncomfortable, but extremely awkward. Blake sat to my left, his right hand gripped tightly onto the steering wheel, his arms covered in veins that made his fury evident. We hadn't spoken since Blake told me that we'd drive to the location that Josh suggested for us to meet up at.

A few minutes before our awkward car ride had begun, we both sat in Blake's living room, contemplating whether or not we should go through with our plan. I wanted, no, needed, to show Blake that Josh wasn't a flirt, and I wanted to prove to Blake that Josh was just a naturally playful guy.. I hope.

Josh, over the phone, agreed without hesitation. His voice was full of contempt as he told us where he wanted to meet. When the call had ended, so had Blake and I's once chatty conversation. Now, we were fifteen minutes into the drive, and also fifteen minutes into an uncomfortable silence. I was hoping that this little dinner with Josh would prove me right – right about Josh being this way towards everyone – and I prayed that he wasn't just like that towards me.

Since Blake and I weren't talking, and he seemed focused on the road, my mind drifted elsewhere. Did Josh actually flirt with me? It all seemed like a haze – I couldn't remember if his jokes were sexual or not. I'm really slow at comprehending jokes – Blake says that a lot. I guess I'm just not a joking kinda' person.

My hand rubbed at my arm anxiously, wondering whether or not I should try talking to Blake. Was he mad at me? Mad at me for being oblivious towards Josh's supposed flirting? Mad at me for talking to another guy? I hoped that wasn't the case – I just wanted to make another friend who wasn't Eric. "Um.. Blake..?" I said quietly, hoping to catch his attention but still remain  nonchalant at the same time.

"What." His reply seemed more like an annoyed answer, not a question. "Um.. Okay.. Nevermind." Maybe I should leave him alone until we get there; I didn't want to provoke him any more than I probably did. "No, what? What did you wanna say? Just say it." Blake said, as he steered the wheel to turn a corner. "Uh.. Okay then." I replied, and cleared my throat before continuing.

"So.. I'm really sorry.. You know, we can turn back if you want, it's no big deal–" Before I could finish my sentence, Blake interrupted me, "If it's no big deal then let me just meet the guy and get this over with." He muttered out, voice dripping with evident annoyance. "Okay.. But.. Are you sure? Because we can just cancel–" His dominant voice spoke on top of mine, "Theo. I said that it's fine. I'm fine. Stop acting like I can't handle another guy trying to get with you, because I fucking can. Remember Lucas?"

Oh my gosh, Lucas! What if this was going to turn into another Lucas-like situation? Was I going to yet again put someone else at Blake's mercy? "Um.. I know you can. You.. Totally can!" I said awkwardly, trying to calm him down, "But.. Can you promise me that you won't.. Try anything? Like.. You won't get all violent? I don't want anything else to happen to you. You could get expelled.."

An irritated sigh left Blake's mouth before he opened it to speak, "You're saying that as if I have anger issues. I can control my fucking temper." He argued. I figured it was no use saying anything else, seeing as Blake was already a bit annoyed at everything going on. He clearly didn't want to go, but still made himself meet Josh to see if he was actually a huge flirt.

The car stopped abruptly, causing me to jerk forward in my seat. The large slam of the door made me realize that he'd gotten out, so I followed in his steps and opened the door. In front of me was a striped building, with a big flashy sign on top of the door that made me realize that we were finally at the address that Josh had sent me. It was some pizza parlor with an Italian name that I couldn't pronounce.

Upon stepping out of the car, I felt a muscular arm being slung around my shoulder. Blake clearly wanted to show Josh upon our arrival that we were together, and he wanted to make it as obvious as he could. We walked into the restaurant like that, with Blake's arm slung around my shoulder, and with my side pressed against his.