[13] Happy Stomachs = Happy Family

Bowser's nose crinkles as a scent travels into his nose and senses.

Something smells good...

He thought, sitting up, rubbing his eyes, and getting out of bed. 

Whatever the smell was, he followed the invisible trail that led into the big kitchen two floors down. As he approaches the scent, a familiar and lively sound grows louder and louder. The sound of his children laughing. Bowser enters a joyful scene of all his Koopalings sitting around the dining room table, packed with an array of breakfast foods and drinks. 

And in the kitchen area, you cook away. Hearing the children all say their father's name cheerfully made you turn around. Greeting the man with a big smile across your face. "Morning, Bowser! Glad you're awake! Take a seat." You motion to the empty chair at the far end of the table. 

He sat down, having four koopalings on each side of the table, enjoying themselves like never before. 

"Here you go." You lay down a plate of mouth-watering food in front of him. 

"An omelet plate? It's been forever since I've had one of these..." 

You pat his shoulder briefly and whisper, "Enjoy~." A tone tracing your voice made him question twice about eating.

"What did you put in this?" Bowser asks, concerned after what you said. 

You gasp. "Nothing at all! I'm not that low to put something in your food!"

"Yeah, papa! Stop being paranoid!" Junior exclaims with a mouthful on Bowser's right side. 

"We're all eating it, aren't we?" Roy throws in, and the man is outnumbered by his kids sooner or later. 

"Fine!" He groans in annoyance. "I'll eat it!" Bowser picks up a fork angrily and takes a large bite of the omelet. As he chews, he feels calmer and relaxed due to the delicious combination of fluffy eggs and tangy tomato sauce. He lowers his head and quietly mutters to himself. "It's good..."

Just loud enough for everyone to hear, the Koopalings cheer for their father and continue to eat and chat. Bowser looks up to see you with the biggest smile, perhaps even a tear in sight. You whip out another plate of food, only this time, a somewhat type of dessert. You return to him with a bowl in one hand and the plate in another.

"Now, this I don't know..." He comments, unsure of what you just laid out in front of him. 

You giggle. "I don't expect you to; it's a specialty at the Mushroom Kingdom." You repeatedly pat your thighs to mimic a drum roll. "Mushroom Crepes! It's way better than it sounds." You lay down the bowl, and Bowser sees it's a fruit bowl to compliment its counterpart. 

He takes a bite, surprised to believe her previous words. "Not bad." He comments, eating a spoonful of the fruit too. 

The Koopalings ate the two foods delightfully, wearing big smiles. 

"Where did you even get this stuff?"  Bowser questions, suddenly remembering the fridge was practically empty. 

"According to the eldest Koopalings, it was time to go food shopping anyway, so we asked a couple of the Koopas to fetch us a few things, and in exchange, I'd make them food as well." You mention proudly. 

"I see..." He finishes his food and sets his plates aside. "I'll have to take my leave now, children," Bowser says, standing up from his seat. "Please excuse me." The man walks away, leaving everyone at the table confused as to why since things were going well. 

"Is he all right?" You ask concerningly, staring off in the direction he left. 

"I wouldn't worry about it too much if I were you." Ludwig states, taking the last bite of his food. 

"He's been like that lately, even before you showed up, so don't take it personally." Larry wipes his mouth clean. 

"Still..." Junior begins. "It's sad seeing him like this..." The boy comments quietly. 

You frown slightly at his reaction. "I have a guess or two of why he's acting like this, and I may know a solution, too." You express confidently. 

"Really?! What is it?" The Koopalings ask, eager to know. 

You laugh. "Finish up your breakfast, and I'll let you know." 

They waste no time and devour what little is left. 

You clean up and see them patiently yet excitedly waiting for you. "So, who knows the way to the fire flower fields?"

Junior raises his hand immediately, bouncing in a seat. "Oh, I do! I do!"

"I'll get the clown car ready." Morton gets up and heads to where the aircraft is kept. 

"What do you need in the fields, (F/n)?" Wendy asks. 

"I want to see if I can make a gift for your father..."

TIL THE NEXT CHAPTER! ('')