[30] Bowser Junior's Lullaby

Human! Bowser and Bowser Jr. fanart above by munchboxart on Tumblr. Please go check them out! :3

You giggle. "Of course I do! And you and everyone in the kingdom, too!" You express gleefully.

Junior chuckles nervously. "That's not what I meant..." He scratches the back of his head.

"What's wrong, kiddo? You can ask me anything, and I'll try my best to provide an answer you're satisfied with."

"If you say so..." He hesitates, then builds up the courage to ask. "What I meant was, do you love my papa? Like in the way my mama loved him?"

You froze at the question. It caught you off guard, especially during this occasion. "Oh, um..." You stumble over your words, trying to find the right thing to say. "I can't speak for your mother, per se, but I can speak for myself, and the answer is yes. I do. More than he can imagine." You smile, then slowly realize some information that made you self-conscious. "Is it that obvious?" You sulk against the child's table.

"No, it's the way you speak about him and the way you look at him. It's like you're under a spell." Junior comments on your demeanor about his father. "It reminds me when he's talking about Princess Peach."

You let out a sigh, the sound carrying a tinge of sadness. "You don't say..." You mumble, digging into your candy bag to drown your sorrows in sugar.

"Does that make you sad, (F/n)? That my papa likes Peach more than you?" The child innocently asks the harsh question.

Kids are brutally honest!

"I'd be lying if I said I wasn't bothered by it, but in no shape or form do I resent any sadness or jealousy, surprisingly." You lift your head, watching Bowser in the distance, straightening out the centerpieces of the tables, slightly struggling at a simple task that makes you crack a chuckle. "And how do you feel about all of this? I'm certain your father doesn't ask how you feel about this dilemma."

The boy thought about it for a second. "I'm indifferent. I don't remember my mama since I was way younger than I am now when she passed away, but I know her through stories." He, too, glances over at Bowser. "She seemed like a nice person who loved my papa dearly..." Junior's tone shifts as you hear a slight tremble in his voice. "I just want him to be happy. Whether it be with another person or just us..." The child sighs, shakes his head, and goes back to his cheerful self. "But who am I to decide that? I'm just glad you're here with us, (F/n)! I've never had a birthday party before."

Don't cry, not now, not in front of the child!

Upon hearing how he truly felt, you bite your tongue, holding back the emotions welling up inside you. You're glad that he's well aware of what was happening, but at the same time, it wasn't a good thing. 

At the end of the day, he's still a child, and all you want is something simple for him and the Koopalings.

But the older you get, the more you realize some things aren't as easy as they seem.

And the sad part about this is that you want the same for Bowser.

You want his reign of terror to come to an end. 

You wish for him to become a good person at all costs and for everyone to live in peace. 

If it's possible, you would like to be by his side. 

A part of you wants to be with him, whether he reciprocates your romantic feelings or not. 

However, another part of you desires something more than you currently have.