[25] Twelve Years Ago

Human! Bowser and Bowser Jr. fanart above by munchboxart on Tumblr. Please go check them out! :3

You and Bowser haven't had a proper conversation since that night.

It's only been a series of 'good morning', 'good night', 'anything you need?', 'my duties are finished'.

Simple sentences like that.

Nothing more, nothing less.

This shifted change ate you slowly on the inside. Thinking he could change and be one step closer to world peace went down the drain. Rebuilding whatever was left is proving to be a challenge. Even if you two were in the same room, he wouldn't try to start a conversation like before, nor did you try to disturb him. 

You think of this while cleaning out the closet of the room you stayed in since it was initially used for a nursery. 

A nursery... 

It was probably for Junior since he's the youngest. 

That would have been twelve years ago. 

It seems so far back, but not at the same time.

I wonder how long his mother stuck around after he was born...

You open the closet door, your eyes drawn to the seemingly bottomless space. Taking a step closer, you reach in and feel around, your hands coming into contact with various objects - old pieces of furniture, rusted weapons, and dusty tools. Delving deeper, your fingers brush against something soft. Grasping it and pulling it towards you reveals a collection of long-forgotten toys and baby decorations. And there, nestled among them, is a small cradle. You peer inside, and your heart swells at seeing a beautiful knitted blanket. Examining it closer, you see a tiny label attached to the corner, bearing the name 'Junior'.

What's this doing here? 

It seems important or at least sentimental. 

But maybe the reasoning behind its current residency was its current state. It had several holes and scratch marks on the fabric. Probably formed over time from Junior's tiny, sharp claws. The colors weren't as bright due to the dirt and dust it picked up after who knows how long. 

You set it aside from everything else to eventually patch it up later when you have the chance. 

The closet was indeed a mess. 

You cover the bottom half of your face with the handkerchief and get to work. First, by removing everything, wiping the furniture down, and then entering the closet. Sweeping the floor, dusting the walls the best you could, and putting everything back once all was done. You left the door open to let all the air out, including the window.

You didn't expect Kamek to appear at the doorway during this process. "Miss (F/n)?"

You stop and glance in the direction of the magician. 

"Can I talk to you briefly if you're not too busy?" 

You untie the handkerchief and take it off. With a smile, you reply, "Hi, Kam!" You approach him to talk properly. "And, of course, what do you need?"

"Forgive me for the intrusion, and I know it's not any of my business, but it's been bugging me."

You dust your hands off. "It's no problem, what is it?" 

"Um, did something happen between you and Bowser?" 

Your smile slowly begins to fall. 

"You don't have to give me a clear answer if you don't want to, though I, along with others, have noticed a dramatic change in your dynamic with him. It feels like he was finally opening and softening up a bit, but recently, it's beginning to fade away..."

You look away and stare at the ground with a sigh, then glance back up. "Something didn't happen between us but between him and the Toadstool Princess." 

Though the magician wore a thick pair of glasses, you can tell by the expression on his face that his eyes widened. "Was it good or bad?" 

"Honestly, I can't say for sure, but I know he's in a state of mind where he's realized what he will do next. I'm sure you, of all people, know that."

He nods his head slowly. "You have a point." Kamek sighs. "Thank you for telling me. I appreciate, and we appreciate, everything you've done around here." He plays around with his wand. "I'm certain you don't need to hear it from me, but I just thought I'd let you know."

"Thank you, Kam. You're Bowser's right-hand man, and you want what's best for him. Whether it be taking over the world or something else, I hope." You laugh nervously. 

He grins slightly. "If no one's going to worry about him besides me and his kids, then who will?" Kamek's eyes shift to the ground, where his eyes lay upon Junior's old blanket. "So, that's where that was." He comments.

You turn to see where he is looking at. "You know about that?"

He nods. "It was the young master's favorite blanket when he was younger. One day, it went missing, and nobody knew where it went. He was devastated, and it broke Bowser's heart. But I know he had something to do with it..."

You tilt your head. "Why do you say that?"

"Because his mother knitted that blanket. And don't you think it's a coincidence that it went missing not long after she..."  He looks away for a second, detaining himself from saying more. "I've said too much, but it doesn't seem in the best condition."

You go over to it and grab it. "Do you think I could patch it up and return it to him?" 

"I wouldn't go against any of Bowser's orders, but nothing he has said goes against that, so I don't see why not. Though, save it for later. When the time is right." 

"When would that be?"

"In a few days. It'll be the young master's birthday. He'll be turning twelve. If you want, you can plan something for him. Bowser will have to listen to you that way." Kamek throws out a suggestion.

You smile brightly as the magician tells you this. Thinking all hope was lost. Your brain almost bursts thinking of how to fix this mess that wasn't your fault, but you want to patch it up either way. "Thank you, Kamek! I know you didn't have to tell me all this, but I'm glad you did."

"You can say we're even now." He grins. "And you're welcome, but don't mention any of this to Bowser. He'd get mad at me."

"No worries! That didn't even cross my mind."

The top of his wand glows brightly. "Bowser's summoning me. I better go. Good luck with everything, and let us know if you need anything."

"Thank you..." You express your gratitude once more, then get an idea. "Actually, I do have a request." 

"Yes?"

You take a deep breath. "Please take me with you to propose the plan to him."

TIL THE NEXT CHAPTER! ('')