Vhagar's Claim

Jessica set her needlework in her lap. "Claim a dragon, Aemond?"

Aemond sat up and moved closer to her. "I'm the only one that doesn't have a dragon. Aegon had Sunfyre. Helaena has Dreamfyre. You have Starfyre. I do not have a dragon of my own."

"And you will. Once there is a clutch, you can have your -"

Aemond shook his head no vigorously. "I don't want to wait for an egg when there is a dragon out on the beach! And I want you to see me claim her."

Aemond jumped down from the bed and showed himself out.

It took Jessica a moment to comprehend what Aemond was asking. Once she fully did, did Jessica scramble out of bed. She grabbed her robe of powder blue silk, slipped on her slippers and raced after Aemond. He wasn't going to be that stupid enough to make a claim to Vhagar.

"Aemond!"

Aemond glanced back to see Jessica following behind. Once she was close enough, did Aemond reach behind him and take her hand. He kept a firm grip, firmer than it need be.

"Aemond..." Jessica tried to stop and reason with him a few moments later.

"No."

Jessica adjusted her pace so that she was now walking beside her brother. "Vhagar could very well kill you..."

Aemond looked straight on ahead. "I'm willing to take that risk."

Jessica pulled him to a stop. "Yeah well I'm not. Not when it comes to you."

Jessica dropped to her knees holding both of Aemonds arms.

"Not Vhagar." She begged.

Aemond gingerly released himself from her grasp. He took another step until her cheek pressed against his chest. His hands ran through her hair and kissed her forehead.

Jessica closed her eyes listening to the beating of his heart. Her arms wrapped around him, holding Aemond to her.

"You can stall as long as you like, Jessica. But I will claim her. I will not be the only one without a dragon."

Jessica looked up at him. "And if she kills you? Either by her bite, fire or a fall? Loosing you would destroy me Aemond."

"Then let us pray that the Gods are on our side." Aemond stepped out of her grasp and continued his journey to the beach.

Jessica had no choice, she got up and followed.

Not to Jessica's surprise, Starfyre was curled up to her mother, Vhagar. Which means if things did go south, Jessica could quickly intervene. Jessica stayed close to Starfyre who nuzzled against her, and waited with bated breath.

Aemond approached the large war dragon and reached out to grab the straps. Vhagar opened her eyes and started Aemond down. A moment later her eyes shut again.

Aemond reached out for the straps once again.

Vhagars eyes snapped opened once again. This time her mouth opened and Jessica could see the reds and oranges of her fires.

Starfyre pushed Jessica a safer distance back.

But none of this made Aemond falter. He held up his hand and ordered Vhagar to calm down. She did.

Jessica watched Aemond climb and mount the mother of all dragons.

Jessica decided at this point to mount Starfyre as well, having a feeling they would be airborne soon.

As soon as Vhagar took off, Jessica and Starfyre followed. Jessica kept a lower altitude in case she needed to catch Aemond.

Every climb and fall felt like it would do Aemond in. But he held on. And before long, the pair were flying side by side. He had done it. Aemond now had a dragon.

The pair of them circled around Driftmark several times, hovering low enough to splash water at each other. They were having fun. And she had never seen Aemond so happy.

Hand in hand the pair walked up the tunnel back up to Driftmark Castle.

The pair had almost made it up to the steps when Jessica pulled Aemond to a halt.

"Jessica..." Young Baela stepped up first.

Jessica sighed and looked at the lot of them. "The four of you should be in bed."

"Vhagar is missing Jessie." Luke came up and wrapped his arms around her waist.

"Vhagar is just fine. She is on the beach with Starfyre."

Aemond spoke up. "She has a new rider now."

Jessica shot him a look.

Baela screamed and stamped her foot. "She was mine to claim!"

"Then you should have claimed her!!" Aemond spat back.

Jessica reached out and took his hand, giving a shake of her head. But he did not take her heed.

"Maybe your cousins can find you a pig to ride. It would suit you."

Jace lunged at Aemond and a fight began. Punching, kicking, scratching biting. As soon as Jessica would break up one fight, another would begin.

Aemond continuously tried to put Jessica behind him, as though she was the one who needed saving.

"Jessica is our Aunt!" Jace stood his ground.

"She's my sister. You have your brothers. You have your cousins. Jessica is mine." Aemond stepped back and took Jessica's hand.

"Aemond stop this. Let me get them inside -"

"They will die screaming in flames just as their father did." Jessica reached out to shut Aemond up before he finished that last part. But the word had already left his lips. "Bastards."

Luke blinked in confusion. "My Father is still alive. Ser Laenor is alive isn't he Jessie."

Jessica closed her eyes. Of course the babies wouldn't know.

Aemond scoffed. "He doesn't know, does he, Lord Strong."

Jessica wished she would have been quicker. Damed being cursed to wear a dress. She tried to lunge at Jace. But Aemond being Aemond was determined that Jessica was the one in danger, and pushed her back so that she would be safe. When Aemond turned, he met the wrong end of Jace's knife.

Aemond fell back into Jessica's arms, cradling his injured eye.

"CEASE THIS AT ONCE!"

Jessica could have kissed Ser Harrold and Ser Criston.

Jessica handed off Aemond to Ser Harrold who rushed him inside to the Maesters.

"Princess." Ser Criston Cole took off his white cloak and wrapped it around her.

Jessica's teeth clattered."The blood...."

"Never you mind my Princess." Criston hushed. "Let's see you inside."