Fate of the Gods

Rhaenys had never been grateful enough she had caught up to Jessica. She had kept back to protect Meleys from Starfyre, but close enough she could intervene if needed.

She wished she had seen the chain slip earlier. She had to press Meleys hard to catch Jessica before she was lost to the sea. Rhaenys tracked Starfyre to the otherside of Dragonstone before settling Meleys at the pits.

Jessica was in and out of consciousness when she was rushed into Dragonstone. Once in her room, she could vaguely hear fabric being torn, before a thick viscous liquid was forced down her throat. The world became dark once more.

Rhaenys finally left Jessica's quarters. The Maesters still rushing around her. She had to tell Rhaenyra. Worse still, she had to tell Daemon.

Rhaenys closed the door, only to turn around and be met with eight pairs of eyes.

Rhaena looked at her grandmother. "We want to see her."

Rhaenys sighed. "No."

"We saw Starfyre!" Lucerys interjected.

"Shhhhh." Rhaenys brought her finger to her lips and shushed him. "Under no, and I mean no circumstances are you to open this door. Not before Daemon and Rhaenyra."

"....Is she going to die...." Baela looked at her grandmother quiet seriously.

Rhaenys sighed. "Let us pray the Gods have other plans." She walked away from the four of them.

The lot of them were around the painted table.

"It's not like the Maesters to keep us waiting." Rhaenyra was at the head of the painted table, strumming her fingers.

The doors opened and Ser Lorent. "The Princess Rhaenys. Just arrived here on dragonback."

Rhaenyra nodded. "Thank you, Ser Lorent."

She turned her attention to Rhaenys. "Might we hope for news of Lord Corlys's recovery?"

"Viserys is dead." Rhaenys decided to tackle the lesser of the bad news first. She looked back at Rhaenyra. "I grieve this loss with you Rhaenyra. My cousin, your father...possessed a kind heart."

Rhaenyra closed her eyes. "How long ago?"

"A day past, perhaps two." Rhaenys sighed. "There is more. Aegon has been crowned his successor."

"Alicent demanded you declare for Aegon."

Rhaenys nodded. "She did, I refused her. It took place in the dragonpit before the masses. I witnessed it before I fled on Meleys."

Daemon had been eerily quiet. "You left her in King's Landing...alone. You left her with that one-eyed prick of a husband and that cunt of a king who is far beyond obsessed with her."

"Daemon..." Rhaenys sighed. "...she-"

"I'll march into The Red Keep and retrieve her myself. I've done it before."

Rhaenys went to open her mouth when Maester Gerardys walked through the door, blood down his robes.

Rhaenys bowed her head. Maester Gerardys turned to her. "We've done everything we can."

Rhaenys didn't want to have this conversation,  not now, not like this. "Will there be a recovery?"

Maester Gerardys bowed his head. "We cannot guarantee she will make it through the night. Her fate is with the Gods now."

Rhaenys nodded, turning to Rhaenyra. But it was Daemon who spoke. "You both care to enlighten us?"

"Jessica isn't in the Red Keep." Rhaenys looked from Rhaenyra to Daemon. "You want to know why I didn't burn them where they stood. Jessica. I yielded to see if she would take the hint. To see if she would flee here to the safety of Dragonstone."

"Then if she's not there then -"

Daemon was cut off by Rhaenyra. "Take me to her. I want to see her."

"I don't think -" Rhaenys was silenced by one look from Rhaenyra. "Follow me."

Rhaenys led them out of the hall and up to Jessica's chambers. Rhaenyra pushed past them all, not caring for polite mannerisms.

Jessica had been taken out of her shredded riding garb and into a fresh night dress.

The gouge above her right eye had been stitched and dressed. There were several wrappings along her torso and arms.

Rhaenyra all but collapsed onto the edge of the bed, taking her sister's face in her hands, tears down her cheeks. "They...did this?"

Rhaenys rested her hand on one of the bed posts. "Starfyre was startled by the masses. Jessica went down into the dragonpit blind and was able to get her airborne. I watched the flight. It was rough, Rhaenyra and she flew admirably. The chain slipped not far from Dragonstone."

Daemon, who had not taken his eyes off the small weak frame lying on piles of pillows and blankets,  finally spoke. "May we have a moment be, Rhaenys?

Rhaenys nodded and took her leave.

Daemon immediately crossed and settled down next to Jessica on the bed, taking one of her hands. "They will pay..."

Rhaenyra looked over at Daemon, but remained silent.

Daemon never took his eyes off Jessica. "I'll have Caraxes fit to saddle two."

Rhaenyra sighed, sitting up slightly. "You're going to take this away from her? Daemon there's a lot of things Jessica can forgive. I don't think that this will be one of them."

Daemon's lips thinned. "It'll be an adjustment, yes. And of course Starfyre can live out the remainder of her days here. But I won't risk Jessica, ever again."

Rhaenyra looked back at Jessica"We can keep her...Aemond has Vhagar. It's a matter of time before he shows up at our doorstep demanding his wife's return. And if not Aemond...Aegon is obsessive enough."

Daemon's fingers brushed her cheek. "The cunt of a king and his bitch of a prince forget one thing."

"And what would that be?"

Daemon gave a glance at Rhaenyra. "Jessica has been mine since day one."