Stupid Games and Stupid Prizes

Jessica was fighting back her own tears as her and Aemond flew back to King's Landing. The shock of Luke's death had started to wear off, exhaustion taking its place.

Exhaustion that soon ebbed into anger.

Jessica took an extra lap around the dragon pits before she landed. She was testing the waters. Seeing if Starfyre could make the flight back to Dragonstone. But Jessica could tell that Starfyre needed rest. She was, after all, still recovering from her own injuries.

Vhagar made a sound and Jessica was forced to land. She did not want to anger the large war dragon any further.

Jessica was glad at least to see that repairs of the dragon pits were slowly on their way upon her descent.

"There's Vhagar." Criston Cole looked up, seeing Aemond land. "And...by the Gods Starfyre is with her."

"The Gods be lucky the Princess is returned safely home." The guard next to him acknowledged.

Jessica settled Starfyre next to her mother and slowly undid her chains. She watched Aemond out from the corner of her eye. He was waiting for her. Aemond always had made sure that Jessica descended Starfyre safely whenever they would ride together.

Jessica took a breath and undid her last chains and slid down to the ground.

Aemond's arms locked around her before her feet touched the ground. He gently set her down, but did not let her go.

"You're shaking..." Aemond moved the hair off her face, tucking it behind her ears. "Jessica, My Love, please look at me."

Ser Criston Cole approached the pair of them. "Welcome back Princess. I trust your ride was pleasant."

Jessica turned her attention to him, outright ignoring Aemond. She gave Criston Cole a smile. "Try not to look too relieved, ser."

Criston Cole scoffed, shaking his head. He returned the smile. "I am relieved. Every time that lucent beast brings you back unspoiled, it saves my head from a spike."

Ser Criston Cole seemed to really look at her and his smile immediately dropped. "What's wrong?"

When Jessica shook her head, Criston Cole turned to Aemond. "What happened to her?"

Aemond sighed. "We had some trouble at Storm's End."

Criston sighed. "She shaking, horribly. Let's get her into the carriage, Jessica needs to be at home."

Aemond made sure Jessica was into the carriage first. Once he got himself settled, Aemond pulled Jessica onto his lap. He laid her head on his chest.

His lips brushed her forehead. For the entire ride home, it was little kisses along her forehead and cheeks. Aemond was trying to get her to give him any kind of attention.

Jessica sighed, everyone was waiting for them back at the Red Keep. She just wanted to be alone.

As soon as she looked up, and met Aegon's eyes, he rushed foward pulling her into his arms. "You're home. You're safe. You're..." Aegon pulled back to look at her. "What's wrong?"

Jessica remained silent, looking foward. There was a small shake of her head.

"Hey hey hey hey hey." Aegon took her face in his hands, and kissed her lips. "You're back home. I'm here. Everything is alright."

"Did Storm's End give you any trouble?" Alicent looked to Aemond.

Aemond looked at Jessica. "Boros Baratheon will side with us."

"That doesn't explain why Jesscareya is in such a state."

Aemond went to reach for his wife, but Aegon promptly slapped his hand away.

Aemond sighed. "Jessica was accompanied by Prince Lucerys...who was killed during the departure."

"Killed how?" Alicent pressed further.

"...Vhagar..."

Alicent closed her eyes. "You killed Prince Lucerys?"

Aemond remained silent, but gave a nod of his head.

"See Jessica to bed." Alicent turned and headed inside.

Jessica was summoned into the Small Council chambers sometime later. She saw Aegon sitting at the head of the table, Aemond to his immediate right. There was a space for Jessica to Aegon's immediate left. She took a breath and took her seat, placing her council ball in front of her.

"Now Sweet Girl," Alicent began. "We know what happened at Storm's End was nothing less than traumatic. And you have every right to be upset. But you can't do this to yourself. Sweetheart this silence is making everyone right with worry, and I don't want to involve the Maesters, but I will if I have too."

"My Love," Aemond reached across the table and took her hand. "Please this is worrying me more than you could possibly imagine . I hate that you are in such a state."

Aegon reached over and gently brushed her cheek. "Jess, please."

Jessica folded her hands in front of her, staring Aemond down.

"Jessica." Aemond pleaded.

"Aemond." She finally broke the silence. They wanted her to talk. Alright. She'd talk. "Congratulations. You have invented a new kind of stupid. A 'damage you can never undo' kind of stupid. An 'open all the cages in the zoo' kind of stupid. 'Truly you didn't think this through' kind of stupid."

"My Love -" Aemond squeezed her hand.

She immediately cut him off. "Let's review. You took a allegation, a few only our family really knew and escalated it when no one had provoked you. I begged you to stop, you refused too."

Jessica shook her head. "So scared of what you're enemies will do to you. YOU'RE the only enemy you ever seem to lose too. You know why Rhaenyra and Daemon can do what they want? Because they don't dignify boyish taunts with a response. So yeah, congratulations."

Aemond was shaking his head no. "Jessica, please, you've gone through enough excitement."

She gritted her teeth. "You've redefined your legacy! Congratulations."

Aegon suddenly pulled Jessica's hands out of Aemond's, holding onto both of them with his own. He brought her hands to his lips, kissing them. "Prince Lucerys' death was an act of political sacrifice."

Otto Hightower closed his eyes and pinched the bridge of his nose, while Alicent's head fell into her hands.

Jessica blinked. "Sacrifice?"

"I gave my life up on Dragonstone, and I read all of Helaena's letters. Now I look at you and think 'Gods what have we done with our lives and what did it get us?' That doesn't wipe the tears or the years away, but I'm back in King's Landing and I'm here to stay and you know what I'm here to do?"

Both Aemond and Aegon looked at each other and then back to her. "Jessica." Aemond whispered.

Jessica glared at them. "I'm not here for either of you."

"I know Rhaenyra like I know my own mind, and her and Daemon will want retribution in kind. And I'll stand by. Do you know why? I love my sister more than anything in this life, and I will be there at her side, every time. Rhaenyra. Is the best thing for this realm. So never lose sight of the fact that Father chose her as heir."

Jessica stood up and saw herself out of the Small Council chambers.

Alicent looked coldly at her boys then rose. "Congratulations. For the rest of your lives. Every sacrifice you make is for Jesscareya, give her the best life." She followed Jessica out.

Otto huffed and looked at his grandsons. "Congratulations."