Vol 2. Chapter 4: Deserted Island Exam [2/4] - Linguistic Jumbles

[Kurushima Pov]

The others have already returned and explained in detail their findings. Ayanokoji and Sakura discovered Class A's camp spot, which was also one of the best spots available on the island.

They were under the protection of a cave, which only has one access right in front of the cave. So there's no way to sabotage them at all, without them witnessing.

Ryūen surely does not like that, huh? I can already imagine his facial expression. Ah, I'm drifting away.

Ayanokoji and Sakura said there were a few spots nearby, but they didn't search for them thoroughly as it was reaching three o'clock, the time when every group should come back again.

Hirata here and there sometimes took the task of explaining to everyone the importance of unity, which I also agreed to, just to prevent any instances of drama from happening.

And once they had returned, it was now their turn to search in the areas for food. Hirata, Kushida, and I each formed a group consisting of three people to search for food.

And I once again had the worst group match...

It was Matsushita and Mori, who both took one of my arms while we were searching for food. It was quite bothersome...

But during that time of these two hours, I had been able to spot the location of three poisonous berries.

One of them was the Solanum nigrum, also known as the black nightshade plant. The berries of the plant can cause in large amounts symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.

The leaves of the plants however contain toxic compounds such as solanine and solasonine, which can cause symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, headache, dizziness, and in severe cases, seizures or coma when ingested in large amounts.

The toxicity of the leaves can vary depending on the age and maturity of the plant, but based from what I saw, they are more or less a few months old, cultivated by the school for this sole exam.

Although to say that they are completely poisonous isn't also accurate.

In traditional medicine, they have been used to treat various ailments such as cough, fever, and inflammation over the various centuries, even for the antic Greece and Rome.

In fact however, the plant was mentioned in the Chinese herbal book "Shennong Bencao Jing" from the Han dynasty "206 BCE–220 CE", which indicates that it was already in use in ancient China at that time.

Similarly, Solanum nigrum has been described in ancient Ayurvedic texts in India, such as the "Charaka Samhita" and the "Sushruta Samhita," which date back to around "200 BCE".

In Europe, however, the usage of the plant was said to be during the Middle Ages. It was believed that the plant could treat skin conditions such as eczema and psoriasis.

It was also believed to have properties that could ward off evil spirits and was sometimes hung over doorways or worn as a talisman.

This plant wasn't what I was precisely after, but this island is probably checked by the school so that the students don't eat life-threatening fruits, leaves, and berries. So I can't expect too many fruits here to be more poisonous with strong after-effects.

But they should be sufficient enough, for what I intend to create. 

The other one was Holly berries. They contain theobromine, which is a stimulant that can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and stomach pain when consumed in large amounts.

The last one were Buffalo-berries, which, on the other hand, contain alkaloids such as methylcytisine, which can cause symptoms such as dizziness, confusion, and potentially even seizures or respiratory depression when consumed in large amounts.